• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Allowing them to get bored with the eggs doesn't always work

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I have a Pair of budgies, Casper (female) and Sunny (male) they've been parents before last season, Started up this season in the community cage - Casper is about the only one (so far) who has laid eggs in a food dish and paid attention to them so We removed her and Sunny (figured he was the dad they were always together ) well the eggs hatched and None were albino or Lutino which is the only thing we get with the pair because mom is albino dad is Lutino but mom is masking other mutations........ got Sky blue Dominant Pied and 2 Double factor Dominant Pieds - so I knew then the only male who could be the dad was Tweety

So those Babies Fledged and they (Casper and Sunny) started mating and having a 2nd clutch, well time came and passed no eggs hatched, So I left them for her to "get bored" with

her normal So far amount of laying is 1st clutch 6 2nd clutch 9 That is how she's done it every time She's been set up to breed so far - of course they don't all hatch usually 3-5 hatch

Well she laid 10(a new one for her) and sat on them religiously But She never stopped sitting on them - only started laying more

so leaving eggs for them to get bored with Does not always stop them from laying more - We removed them last night and put them back in the community cage but this is what we removed from the nest box (all were infertile )

:eek::eek::eek:

I've never claimed my birds were Normal :lol: mine "break" all the so called rules of Breeding, Now when I remove eggs that are infertile or I don't want them laying. They STOP laying. leave them to get bored and they don't stop.. I even have a tiel who lays eggs every time her cage is rearranged or she's put into a different cage.

So keep in mind there is exceptions to Every Rule

Attachments

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Holey frijoles that's a lot of eggs!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Part of the reason they don't get bored of them in your situation Kelli is because you are breeding them and they have have raised chicks. They know the difference. A bird that has never raised a chick doesn't know that. JMHO

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
yep it was a lot but it was over a 2 month period and they were all light as air.

She's gotten bored with other eggs that didn't hatch before So not sure why she didn't this time. but she's in with the rest of the budgies So she's done for a while anyway.

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
ive always
-moved the hen into a spare cage
-rearranged the cage completely
-moved the cages location
-reduced daylight hours & food
-remove eggs and any nesting material (sometimes placed in a grate)

it has allways worked for me, even with the kaks
they reabsorb the eggs, usually find one/two more (which they never interested in)after which everythings back to normal

that's some eggs :D

Status
Not open for further replies.