• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Allow old owner to visit new parrot?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm in discussions to adopt a stranger's parrot but they want to come visit him a few weeks after my adoption to see how he's doing. I've never dealt with this before in my two previous adoptions.

Would you allow a visit? Why or why not?

I had agreed to send them updates; the request to visit my house is a recent development. I told them if they were not ready to adopt him out we could stop this, but they said they are ready and simply want to check in.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally wouldn’t allow it, I think it’s totally unfair on the bird and would be very unsettling for them.
I don’t know of any type of adoption agency (human or animal) that allows or facilitates this as it’s not in the best interest of the adopted

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think updates are more than enough & kind of you to agree to. If you relinquish an animal, you have no further business in its life. Harsh, but true.

They’re not paying you to maintain him. You’re not an employee. You’re buying him.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Appreciate the input, everyone. My concerns also include the fact that I live alone, which I told them early on when I described my home. I sent them indoor pictures of my house and grey and her setup, too.

I met them and the bird on one occasion.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I had to rehome my Tiels due to COPD and as it broke my heart and as much as I wanted to go see them, they're with a close friend, I didn't do it as I was told my the owner of the bird store that it can be unsettling to the birds and they might think you're taking them home. So no I don't think I'd want to let them come over.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I had to rehome my Tiels due to COPD and as it broke my heart and as much as I wanted to go see them, they're with a close friend, I didn't do it as I was told my the owner of the bird store that it can be unsettling to the birds and they might think you're taking them home. So no I don't think I'd want to let them come over.
I hear that. I adopted a relative’s dog and every time we are at the relative’s house the dog has anxiety that I will leave her behind.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't allow it. The bird is already losing his original owner. If the owner then comes back, and then just leaves again, it would be very confusing and harder on the bird. I would think an update and maybe a video is plenty.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Not a good idea JMHO. Bebe's previous owner showed up at my door unannounced and uninvited. She had her kids with her. Set Bebe back to square one with building trust between the two of us. Took almost 6 months to rebuild that trust. Nope never again.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Nope. My parents had this happen with a kitten we adopted years ago. The family could not keep him due to severe allergies but had suggested that he could stay there if we ever went on vacation. We sent him once and never again. I'm not sure how the cat felt, but it was heart-wrenching for the other family involved. My mom realized it had been a mistake and boarded him or had a pet-sitter during future vacations.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Well, it’s a moot point because they just messaged me to say they had second thoughts about rehoming him and will keep him.

I had sensed that something wasn’t right, which is why I was concerned about a home visit after adoption.

From the beginning I’ve told them several times to take their time and that we could stop this at any point if they weren’t comfortable. I’m just glad it didn’t go forward and then get ugly.

Thank you all for your input.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wouldn't allow it. The bird is already losing his original owner. If the owner then comes back, and then just leaves again, it would be very confusing and harder on the bird. I would think an update and maybe a video is plenty.
I agree with this statement.

However, did the owner understand WHY you didn't want them to come and go again? It was for the bird.

If they didn't understand that, the poor bird will have to go thru that again with different folks. Maybe not true bird people even!

Sad. Just sad. They might think there was something you were hiding and that's not the case.

I really think random taken videos would be nice. Pictures. They could see the bird and know it's safe.

Their appearance in the bird's life to just leave again, cruel.