• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Allergy shampoo

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Anyone recommend a shampoo to help dog with itching due to seasonal allergies. All over the counter allergy medications don't seem to really help much.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Believe it or not, Murphy's oil soap is highly recommended for dog shampoo.

It's also been said that allergies are due to imbalance in the gut microbiome but I'm not sure how to fix that in dogs.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My poodle has itchy skin syndrome. He was scratching non-stop & ripping his hair out. We tried the medication Apoquel, but he had terrible reactions to it, so we had to take him off it. We finally discovered he's allergic to grains. He gets feed a grain free diet & grain free treats. I also put krill oil in his food daily.

I use Tea Tree Shampoo & Conditioner with Aloe Vera to bath him. It really helps to keep him from scratching. I use the "espree" brand shampoo & conditioner. There are several brands, but this one smelled better than the rest I found local. Tea tree shampoo for dogs with aloe vera promotes healing of minor dog skin conditions | Espree

If your dog has seasonal allergies he could be allergic to grasses. The vet can give him an allergy shot. Many dogs also seem to be developing skin allergies anymore or inheriting them. My brothers Lab has them too. He gives his dog an omega3 capsule daily. The dose depends on the dogs size.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Curiosity got the best of me... my pup has been itchy in the past.... couldn't figure out anything specific, vets weren't helpful....

Ever since putting him on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream his excessive itching seems to have stopped. Shame though, since the previous food made his fur really smooth. His coat just doesn't feel as smooth as it did before, more "wiry". (aka typical husky fur)

Haven't looked into the Omega 3 supplements, but I have heard that they can be helpful.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Curiosity got the best of me... my pup has been itchy in the past.... couldn't figure out anything specific, vets weren't helpful....

Ever since putting him on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream his excessive itching seems to have stopped. Shame though, since the previous food made his fur really smooth. His coat just doesn't feel as smooth as it did before, more "wiry". (aka typical husky fur)

Haven't looked into the Omega 3 supplements, but I have heard that they can be helpful.
Salmon oil is really helpful to put over the food and makes the food extra tasty for dogs. Algolith is also really helpful! My dog has some skin and coat issues and this works great for him :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Salmon oil is really helpful to put over the food and makes the food extra tasty for dogs. Algolith is also really helpful! My dog has some skin and coat issues and this works great for him :)
I might actually have some... don't think it did any good... or well, he wasn't interested. My pup is pretty picky when it comes to food!

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Did you get an allergy test, they migth be able to make custom shots pending what the dog is allergic for. Also it helps making sure you dont inadvertedly feed something that is on the crossallergy list.

Also meds may help but not be enough on their own, so dont give up on them, often with allergies its a combination of things that takes to treat it. So I wouldnt stop talking to your vet, if your not geting good explanations then get a new vet.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I love Oatmeal shampoo, it has colloidal properties and is very easy on skin. Is the skin showing no redness or bumps?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love Oatmeal shampoo, it has colloidal properties and is very easy on skin. Is the skin showing no redness or bumps?
My poodle has inherited itchy skin syndrome. I had a grooming business for years. I used oatmeal shampoo for most of the dogs I groomed. I'd buy 4 gallons of it at a time & all the dogs did well with it. Unfortunately my current dog has a grain allergy, so oatmeal shampoo makes him itch even more.

After a lot of trial & error we found a grain free food that he could eat that helped lessen the itching. Adding krill oil to his food daily keeps his itching down to now & then. Tea Tree shampoo is for skin issues & is not grain based. Before making these changes he was ripping his hair out & causing sores.