• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Allergies, Something else, or me just being Paranoid?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Quarter eyes at three different dates.
Oct 30th
20221030_182731.jpg
Nov 1st
20221110_134514.jpg
Today
20221110_134235.jpg 20221110_134208.jpg
The pictures don't fully show how red they are sometimes. And back in June one of his eyes swelled up, it went down by the end of the day and didn't come back so I didn't give it much more thought. Now I am wondering if it's possible he has allergies? He's on the same diet he has always been on, no changes, with the exception of less seed as I keep forgetting to buy more.
Writing this out I keep thinking it's probably nothing and I am just over thinking it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have some people's thoughts?
Random side note, you can tell it's getting hot cause he's starting to hold his wing out. Has anyone ever heard of heat irritating an old injury?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The eyes do look a tad puffy to me but it could be just the pic. Are you sure Q is a he?

Not sure what the weather is like for you today but we had a high pollen warning for today for the asthmatics and hay fever sufferers. Maybe keep an eye on these sorts of things as well as foods fed and see if you can find a common theme for when you feel the eyes are not quite right.

I have not heard of heat affecting old internal bone, nerve or muscle injuries but moisture and cold I have- the only time I hear of heat affecting health pain wise is with skin issues. I am not saying it does not happen but many people find the cold irritating and the warm soothing.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Are you sure Q is a he?
No, I've discussed this with you before. Going by eyes changes depending on the light, I will get him DNA'd when I can.

Not sure what the weather is like for you today but we had a high pollen warning for today for the asthmatics and hay fever sufferers. Maybe keep an eye on these sorts of things as well as foods fed and see if you can find a common theme for when you feel the eyes are not quite right.
The last few days it's been quite hot, we're still getting the odd bit of rain. There's many flowers around at the moment, part of the reason I am wondering if he has allergies.

I have not heard of heat affecting old internal bone, nerve or muscle injuries but moisture and cold I have- the only time I hear of heat affecting health pain wise is with skin issues. I am not saying it does not happen but many people find the cold irritating and the warm soothing.
That's what I read and know too. But I was thinking the other day that you wouldn't even know about Q's wing if you didn't. Then I saw him holding it out today, I remember when I first got him that it was always more noticeable if it was hot. It's entirely possible I caught him after a bit of a flight.
Could have to do with that there's feathers on that wing that don't sit right anymore, maybe they irritate him when it's hot?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
When I looked at the pictures, I thought his eyes looked a bit puffy and teary like we get with allergies.
You mentioned the flowers, so maybe @Shezbug is correct regarding the outside atmosphere.
Other than the change in his diet (less seed), is there anything in the air that could be affecting him?
Maybe another pet, cooking fumes, aerosol sprays?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
When I looked at the pictures, I thought his eyes looked a bit puffy and teary like we get with allergies.
You mentioned the flowers, so maybe @Shezbug is correct regarding the outside atmosphere.
Other than the change in his diet (less seed), is there anything in the air that could be affecting him?
Maybe another pet, cooking fumes, aerosol sprays?
Quarter is an outdoor aviary bird, there could be multiply things in the air but they're not things I can control. Other pets near him are the quails and some of the goats can get close to his aviary.
Here some closer pictures of his eyes.
20221110_172932.jpg 20221110_172904.jpg
@Shezbug his eyes are looking more girl-like the more I look at them o_O

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Quarter is an outdoor aviary bird, there could be multiply things in the air but they're not things I can control. Other pets near him are the quails and some of the goats can get close to his aviary.
Here some closer pictures of his eyes.
View attachment 416743 View attachment 416744
@Shezbug his eyes are looking more girl-like the more I look at them o_O
It’s not every pic but some do look very reddish brown.