• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All you cockatoo experts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
What books do you recommend?

Thanks!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Heather, I never read and books when I got Nani except for Sally Blanchard's Beak Book...it is awesome! The rest of my research was done online...and through other people who have experience.

How are things going today?

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Sally Blanchard has a book on Cockatoos. It's really good. Most of my research has been done online and talking to a lot of people, too.

There is one I have seen advertised that looks good. The Essential Cockatoo...I think that's what it's called. I keep saying I'm gonna order it....LOL

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't find that any of the books I got specifically for Too's to be that great. Sally Blanchard's book are a must read though. Plus you have a couple people here on AA that are experts.

Ginger

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Heather, I never read and books when I got Nani except for Sally Blanchard's Beak Book...it is awesome! The rest of my research was done online...and through other people who have experience.

How are things going today?
Oh I know I have all you guys for sure! Things aren't bad. She's very stubborn though. She was dancing on the sofa for the kids and all earlier and when she got super excited she ran across the sofa and bit me right in the arm. I told her no then step up and put her on her cage where she proceeded to scream her head off. She calmed down after a few minutes. I didn't get upset or offended or anything. I've stayed calm through the whole thing. I think she's been allowed to run the show for a long time.

Ok on to the fun stuff. She LOVES socks! She plays tug of war and throws them around. She also sings with us at the top of her lungs :D Her first new words here already have been spoken. Jordan my 8 yr old said "say hi jordan" and sure enough she said "hi Jordan!" :hehe:

Quiverful

Real Name
Dawn
I don't find that any of the books I got specifically for Too's to be that great. Sally Blanchard's book are a must read though. Plus you have a couple people here on AA that are experts.

Ginger

When I first got Baby, I was shocked at how many FEW Cockatoo books there were out there! Considering the popularity of the Too, I thought there would be a lot. Also, the ones that were available were reprints of much older books. The info in them was hopelessly outdated.

I have really enjoyed Sally's Too book. Much of the info is given anecdotal and it's a great read.

Quiverful

Real Name
Dawn
Oh I know I have all you guys for sure! Things aren't bad. She's very stubborn though. She was dancing on the sofa for the kids and all earlier and when she got super excited she ran across the sofa and bit me right in the arm. I told her no then step up and put her on her cage where she proceeded to scream her head off. She calmed down after a few minutes. I didn't get upset or offended or anything. I've stayed calm through the whole thing. I think she's been allowed to run the show for a long time.

Ok on to the fun stuff. She LOVES socks! She plays tug of war and throws them around. She also sings with us at the top of her lungs :D Her first new words here already have been spoken. Jordan my 8 yr old said "say hi jordan" and sure enough she said "hi Jordan!" :hehe:

I have a M2 named Hootie. I discovered that I have to be very careful around him when he gets excited about anything. He got over excited about some new branches a while back and I went to step him up and he bit me on the wrist. So now if I see him getting super excited like that, I will use a perch to pick him up.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Barbara Heidenreich's: Parrot Problem Solver

And

Nikki Moustaki's: Your Outta Control Bird

And anything from Sally Blanchard

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't find that any of the books I got specifically for Too's to be that great..

Ginger
Totally agree. Which is why I recommend BEHAVIORAL books over any 'too or species specific book.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

I have a M2 named Hootie. I discovered that I have to be very careful around him when he gets excited about anything. He got over excited about some new branches a while back and I went to step him up and he bit me on the wrist. So now if I see him getting super excited like that, I will use a perch to pick him up.
Thanks for the story! I will be pulling out a wooden perch to keep nearby ;)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Also as fun and funny as it is to get her going. I would really emphasize calmness and low energy right now.

Ginger

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Also as fun and funny as it is to get her going. I would really emphasize calmness and low energy right now.

Ginger
My arm agrees with you ;)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I suppose your lip is just nodding yes also. :D :hug8:

Ginger

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Heh, well that was a different situation but yes. My lip is healing up well :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
My arm agrees with you ;)
I suppose your lip is just nodding yes also. :D :hug8:

Ginger
:lol:

Heather I am sorry to hear about the bites, Toos are crazy. I think Dana always says consistency is key to dealing with birds esp Toos. So try and be consistant with the things you want to change and use positive reinforcement as much as you can.

They are a blast aren't they??

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

:lol:

Heather I am sorry to hear about the bites, Toos are crazy. I think Dana always says consistency is key to dealing with birds esp Toos. So try and be consistant with the things you want to change and use positive reinforcement as much as you can.

They are a blast aren't they??
She's definitely been a blast so far! :rofl: I hope that a few full nights of sleep will help straighten her out along with some good old fashion consistency and structure :D

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Now you can see why we say nothing, nothing can prepare you for these birds!

They are a whole nuther beast.:rolleyes:

wolfysluv

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
rebecca stout
Anything from Sally B. But I didn't know she had a book on cockatoos! Neat.

catnloco

Sprinting down the street
All I can say is "those crazy too's". There is excited and then there is TOO excited and if you cross that fine line look out there can be a good bite involved (as you know). You have too keep things calm right now and for a while until you all know one another a LOT better.
As for books well.....I have done all my research on line and talking to MANY people. I don't think there is any book on the face of this earth that can prepare you for your BIG adventure.
Consistency here is going to be a big thing, weather it be positive reinforcement or discipline. This too needs rules and boundaries set and in time with your consistency the bird will learn what is acceptable and what is not but it will also know what to expect when it does not follow the rules.
I wish you nothing but the best of luck in this too rehabilitation process and am looking forward to reading about it I sure do hope that the bites stop as soon as possible.

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
As far as burning off some energy how do you think she would do in a harness?? Maybe you can get her outside (if it's nice) or maybe a trip to the store or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.