• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

all white cockatiel poop

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
hi i recently got 2 cockatiels, no tail bobbing but some fluffing up (it’s the winter time we try to keep the heat on but i’m not too worried about the fluffing up) they didn’t have the best care before me and they don’t have α good diet (i’m trying to get them to switch to pellets soon) their i saw α spot of poop that is all white and it worries me, they haven’t touched their vegetables i gave them (i discovered that when i checked to see if they were eating the vegetables) i shined α flashlight on it and i read that if it was α kidney issue it would look like diamonds almost, it just looks like α glob of white paint almost, then the other green poop worries me, (the seed was one they dropped, it wasn’t undigested) the thing is, they aren’t tame and aren’t socialized, so if i wanted to check any closer like in their mouth if by their face or anywhere else, they would bite, their face looks fine except they were kind of grinding their beaks together and it was making not α squeaking noise but between that and it sounded like seeds being crushed, even though they weren’t eating. i just don’t know if this is due to any type of stress, i have been giving them α little bit of chia seed and quinoa seeds, but not enough to alter their whole diet. if anyone has had α similar experience or may know what’s going on please help. they do sleep in this area so that’s why it’s all built up in one spot. 6DED79A0-97DB-49E3-8C4C-0EAD7FBD6629.jpeg

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
hi i recently got 2 cockatiels, no tail bobbing but some fluffing up (it’s the winter time we try to keep the heat on but i’m not too worried about the fluffing up) they didn’t have the best care before me and they don’t have α good diet (i’m trying to get them to switch to pellets soon) their i saw α spot of poop that is all white and it worries me, they haven’t touched their vegetables i gave them (i discovered that when i checked to see if they were eating the vegetables) i shined α flashlight on it and i read that if it was α kidney issue it would look like diamonds almost, it just looks like α glob of white paint almost, then the other green poop worries me, (the seed was one they dropped, it wasn’t undigested) the thing is, they aren’t tame and aren’t socialized, so if i wanted to check any closer like in their mouth if by their face or anywhere else, they would bite, their face looks fine except they were kind of grinding their beaks together and it was making not α squeaking noise but between that and it sounded like seeds being crushed, even though they weren’t eating. i just don’t know if this is due to any type of stress, i have been giving them α little bit of chia seed and quinoa seeds, but not enough to alter their whole diet. if anyone has had α similar experience or may know what’s going on please help. they do sleep in this area so that’s why it’s all built up in one spot. View attachment 370167
so i just figured out the beak grinding is normal, they looked sleepy when they were doing that and were fluffed up, so i’m not worried about that anymore.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The white part of the droppings are urates. There should generally always be some. If there is an excessive amount, it can mean kidney issues which would require a vet to diagnose and treat.

57328196_1262106260606568_8577636412709404672_n.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
i‘ve noticed that if I feed too much protein to Rudy my red bellied parrot like a bedtime snack of edamame his poop the next morning is rather white, heavy in urates.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
so i just figured out the beak grinding is normal, they looked sleepy when they were doing that and were fluffed up, so i’m not worried about that anymore.
i‘ve noticed that if I feed too much protein to Rudy my red bellied parrot like a bedtime snack of edamame his poop the next morning is rather white, heavy in urates.
i think that’s what may be happening. i don’t know if with me covering them up they just hold their poop or something (they’re not used to being covered up, they didn’t get adequate sleep without being covered so i leave α space with α nightlight) but i just don’t really know what i did wrong, that’s the only white dropping i saw so i’m not too worried. but their diet is only seeds, if you know the 3d cockatiel blend that’s what they eat, and it looks to be mainly sunflower seeds which makes me so sad but they won’t eat anything else, i’ve ordered some parakeet nutriberries and freeze dried vegetables so hopefully they will start eating better, even though i know it takes persistence with picky birds lol

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
The white part of the droppings are urates. There should generally always be some. If there is an excessive amount, it can mean kidney issues which would require a vet to diagnose and treat.

View attachment 370170
that’s why i’m not really too worried about something being wrong, i regularly check poop and food levels and regularly clean and change water and the cage (i wish i could check weight but they won’t let me touch them), that’s the only white spot i saw and the rest of their droppings look normal with only about one spot that looked dehydrated, (i think they were nervous and were only staying in one spot of the cage, hence not drinking any water). now when i go in and sit when them i make sure they drink before i leave and the droppings to me seem normal, i don’t know if when i cover them up for the night they just get nervous and hold their poop or what, i leave α space in the sheet and have α nightlight for them (they weren’t getting adequate sleep in their old home without being covered but flapped around when was covered) they’ve been fine so far and no night frights which i’m thankful for. i think for now i’m just going to but paper towels down as substrate so i can really monitor things closer.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
i think that’s what may be happening. i don’t know if with me covering them up they just hold their poop or something (they’re not used to being covered up, they didn’t get adequate sleep without being covered so i leave α space with α nightlight) but i just don’t really know what i did wrong, that’s the only white dropping i saw so i’m not too worried. but their diet is only seeds, if you know the 3d cockatiel blend that’s what they eat, and it looks to be mainly sunflower seeds which makes me so sad but they won’t eat anything else, i’ve ordered some parakeet nutriberries and freeze dried vegetables so hopefully they will start eating better, even though i know it takes persistence with picky birds lol
I wish you good success in improving their diet! Did you get freeze dried corn? My cockatiel Emily loved it!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My quakers poop all night long! The slightly bigger ones do a morning bomb

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
I wish you good success in improving their diet! Did you get freeze dried corn? My cockatiel Emily loved it!
no i haven’t yet i’ll have to keep that in mind, their old owner said the person they got them from (i feel so bad that they’ve been passed from home to home but at least i know i’ll be their forever home) said they fed them vegetables but she never really tried to, so i’m not sure what they liked or even what form they liked it in, so far i’ve tried chop and fresh on α clip but then again i haven’t had them for long either so i just need to give them time and i’m sure they will, i just don’t want any issues to form because of their poor diet and it be too late or something, you know what i mean?

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
My quakers poop all night long! The slightly bigger ones do a morning bomb
lol my budgies do too, they’re in my room and the cockatiels are in α separate bedroom (quarantining for α little bit), all of their poop looks normal for α bird whos on α seed diet but that kind of alarmed me, but knowing it was the only spot that was fully white and no other spots like that gives me hope

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
It's normal for birds to hold their poop overnight. It's a survival mechanism and also keeps the "nest" clean
thank you so much, i’ll definitely lay paper towels down to keep a closer eye on things and monitor things more frequently, i never knew that lol i’m just used to my budgies pooping all night

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
thank you so much, i’ll definitely lay paper towels down to keep a closer eye on things and monitor things more frequently, i never knew that lol i’m just used to my budgies pooping all night
It depends on the bird for sure. My quakers had no issues with pooping all night but my green cheek would hold it all night long!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiels love freeze dried vegetables! They both came to me on all seed diets and started eating the vegetables right away. Hopefully, you'll have similar luck. They will both now eat all the vegetables before they touch anything else.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
My tiels love freeze dried vegetables! They both came to me on all seed diets and started eating the vegetables right away. Hopefully, you'll have similar luck. They will both now eat all the vegetables before they touch anything else.
do you remember what brand you got? also i looked up about their poop and it said increased urine could be due to stress, i just don’t know if they’re stressed because they’re in α new home or it’s α kidney issue and their old owner said they never paid attention to their poop:(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
do you remember what brand you got? also i looked up about their poop and it said increased urine could be due to stress, i just don’t know if they’re stressed because they’re in α new home or it’s α kidney issue and their old owner said they never paid attention to their poop:(
Yes, I get mine from one of our vendors here- Bodacious Birdie Bites. I get her "little size" chop for them.

My take on weird dropping is that I never worry about one. More than one, then I get concerned. I'll go back and look at your picture again but I didn't think it looked bad. Morning droppings are usually bigger than normal and messier than normal. And I'm sure they are stressed. It's a new home. A vet check is always a good idea with any new birds. Brewers yeast is good for stress for tiels. The human grade kind. You can sprinkle a little over their food for about a week.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
Yes, I get mine from one of our vendors here- Bodacious Birdie Bites. I get her "little size" chop for them.

My take on weird dropping is that I never worry about one. More than one, then I get concerned. I'll go back and look at your picture again but I didn't think it looked bad. Morning droppings are usually bigger than normal and messier than normal. And I'm sure they are stressed. It's a new home. A vet check is always a good idea with any new birds. Brewers yeast is good for stress for tiels. The human grade kind. You can sprinkle a little over their food for about a week.
thank you so much dude that really helped, i’m make sure to pick some up at the store today if they have that or order some and if you have tiles do they like any certain vegetable? i know someone said theirs likes corn

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella

and another thing, i’m always in contact with the old home they’re like family to me, the birds won’t let me touch them so i’m just worried about getting them to α vet αt some point if i had to

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
thank you so much dude that really helped, i’m make sure to pick some up at the store today if they have that or order some and if you have tiles do they like any certain vegetable? i know someone said theirs likes corn
Freeze Dried Chop (bodaciousbirdiebites.com)

I feed the chop- so it's a mixture of vegetables. My one tiel definitely favors the carrots. My other tiel doesn't seem to have a favorite. For fresh food, broccoli and leafy greens are usually a hit.

There are some good training videos out there to work on taming birds. I really like the Good Bird website/training materials.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
Freeze Dried Chop (bodaciousbirdiebites.com)

I feed the chop- so it's a mixture of vegetables. My one tiel definitely favors the carrots. My other tiel doesn't seem to have a favorite. For fresh food, broccoli and leafy greens are usually a hit.

There are some good training videos out there to work on taming birds. I really like the Good Bird website/training materials.
thank you:) all i’ve tried with them is chop and also chop with mixing their seed in, i’ll try broccoli and maybe bok choy on α clip today, my parakeets aren’t picky at all and eat whatever vegetables put in front of them lol i’m thankful for that.