• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

all my aquariums (again lol)

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
hey guys so i
t realised that i never made an actual thread about my aquariums, so here goes nothing :laughing4:

i have always been fascinated by aquariums and fish in general, to me it is beautiful to have a full ecosystem in your home, kind of like watching a nature in your living room ( wo that came out weird :laughin:).
So i got my first ever fish tank at the age of 12 (it was a 120L community fish tank so about 31.7 Gal if google is correct) and i have never stopped being an aquarium lover since.
when i was 21 yd (6 years ago) i finally left my parent's house to live on my own and decided to get into aquarium keeping again (stopped the hobbie 1 year before moving out from my parent's), and since then it was such a rollecoaster ! from betta fish breeding, to marine aquarium and keeping up to 11 fish tanks in my appartment now i think that i am satisfied with my current "number" of aquariums lol.:loveshower:

i also have a mini pond (about 600l so 158.5 Gal) in the garden but ill show it to you guys in another thread.;):cool:
So i am going to start with the smallest aquariums and work my way up to the biggest i currently own.

Let's begin with my 2 8L (2.11 Gal) tanks with a Male betta fish in each (just so you guys know those tanks are temporary homes since their in a 60l / 15.85Gal divided tank was leaking and will live in there for a few month until i have the money to get a new one)
1st, Jiraya and his tank, so i have always believe that he is a Over Half Moon rosetail Mustard gas but now im not sure anymore (for the non betta keepers on the forum rosetail and over half moon are names of tail/fins types, mustard gas is a color pattern)
DSC_0318.jpg
DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

The second 8L tank is the temporary home of Oscar the newest member in the family, he is a marble/mustard gas Half moon.
DSC_0314.jpg
DSC_0303.jpg
DSC_0299.jpg
DSC_0298.jpg
Next we have chimera, he currently is in a small quarentine tank until he's brand new 28L/7.39Gal tank that i just got him is finished cycling. he is a Marble Super Delta (in betta fish marble is a color mutation that makes the fish change color throughout it's life depending on various factor, when i got Chimera he was white with 3 blue scales lol)
DSC_0230.jpg
his new tank currently cycling
DSC_0334.jpg
Next we have thunder and his 30L/7.92Gal tank that he is sharing with 5 amber tetra, he is a copper gold delta.
DSC_0328.jpg
DSC_0326.jpg
DSC_0329.jpg
DSC_0330.jpg
i have 6 fish tank but the last one had it's lights turned of because of a huge algae bloom so i will take pictures when that is taken care of, anyway now my biggest tank of all the 233L/61.55Gal tank. it currently house: 2 angels, a pair of apistogramma Borelli, a groupe of neon tetra and rio tetra, 1 ancistrus gold, 1 marmelade ancistrus, a few khuli loaches, 5 corydoras bronze; sorry for the state of the tank i need to clean it, trim a few plants and get rid of some algae.

DSC_0320.jpg
DSC_0322 (1).jpg
DSC_0321.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love all your setups and your fish are beautiful!! :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow. Those are some beautiful fish and spectacular tanks :heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Seems to me that you are already a great betta owner, since even your temporary tanks are larger than the average betta tank!

As for the tank that's leaking... is there any chance you could just seal the leak rather than completely replacing it? Might be cheaper in the long run.

What type of kuhli loaches do you have?

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Oooh thanks for sharing these! I love fishies, they are mesmerizing and as @Lincee said it’s like watching a world within a world.
We haven’t had a fish since my son’s betta a few years back. We had him quite a long time, and he and I would have some great chats (he was such a good listener lol) I miss it- you may have inspired me to get some new fishy babies here! Yours are very beautiful and they gave great setups too :fish2:

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
WONDERFUL!
i used to have fishtanks too.. they can be so calming and mesmerizing :heart:
Its a world within a world!
yes it is indeed i agree! i love to have fishtanks in my home !:laugh:

Wow. Those are some beautiful fish and spectacular tanks :heart:
thank you so much :hug8:

Seems to me that you are already a great betta owner, since even your temporary tanks are larger than the average betta tank!
As for the tank that's leaking... is there any chance you could just seal the leak rather than completely replacing it? Might be cheaper in the long run.
What type of kuhli loaches do you have?
thank you, i try my best !
the tank that was leaking was very old (20 years old) and wasn't great quality, it was very useful but also about time that im finally going to replace it :yahoo:. as for the khuli i guess the regular striped pangio kuhlii :wideyed:

Oooh thanks for sharing these! I love fishies, they are mesmerizing and as @Lincee said it’s like watching a world within a world.
We haven’t had a fish since my son’s betta a few years back. We had him quite a long time, and he and I would have some great chats (he was such a good listener lol) I miss it- you may have inspired me to get some new fishy babies here! Yours are very beautiful and they gave great setups too :fish2:
well i hope i helped in a way :D and if you needsome advice on natural planted aquarium set-ups for betta fish let me know :laugh::laugh: i am a big plant fan lol i have tons in my house, my aquariums and my garden !

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Ah, got it! I wonder if stores in your area have any deals on aquariums?

I know here that Petco just finished with their most recent dollar per gallon sale when you can get a 10, 20, 30 or 40 for the same price in dollars. 55 and larger tanks though were removed from the sale... but still discounted!

My S/O has a tank with black kuhlis, a giant kuhli (myersi) and I think the rest are pangio semicincta? Or could be semicincta and kuhlii! They're pretty similar! Would have to double check, but think there are at least 4 species. I may have found another giant kuhli, too.

Came across a pangio shelfordii and a pangio cuneovirgata (one of each) in a store, but the store was about 4 hours from home and wasn't willing to grab either one for such a long trip!

Kuhlis are rather interesting fish! :) Can't remember all of their scientific names though! :laugh: Usually have to look up names to make sure of spelling! Or to get the actual name! lol

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
@Monica
Ah, got it! I wonder if stores in your area have any deals on aquariums?

well not really at the moment so that's why im waiting for a good opportunity !:angelic:

I know here that Petco just finished with their most recent dollar per gallon sale when you can get a 10, 20, 30 or 40 for the same price in dollars. 55 and larger tanks though were removed from the sale... but still discounted!

lol i think it is going to rain cows before we get that kind of deal in any french petstore :bash:

My S/O has a tank with black kuhlis, a giant kuhli (myersi) and I think the rest are pangio semicincta? Or could be semicincta and kuhlii! They're pretty similar! Would have to double check, but think there are at least 4 species. I may have found another giant kuhli, too.

mine are the tiny striped khulis so i don't know which specie or sub specie it is :shy:

Came across a pangio shelfordii and a pangio cuneovirgata (one of each) in a store, but the store was about 4 hours from home and wasn't willing to grab either one for such a long trip!

Kuhlis are rather interesting fish! :) Can't remember all of their scientific names though! :laugh: Usually have to look up names to make sure of spelling! Or to get the actual name! lol

i love khulis they are such interesting little fish and very active too mine get super crazy when i feed them frozen bloodworms !

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am amazed by fish and aquariums. I got my first tank from my grandfather when I was around 11. I remember it being a very memorable birthday. My parents always bought me things that they wanted me to be, but never really listened to me. Like I was into frogs, animals, insects...they would get me a barbie and expect me to be a proper girl...

Well my grandfather was different. He would take me to natural history museums and look at every drawer of insects and enjoyed sharing that with me. He even listened to me when I would awkwardly jabber on, for who knows how long, about lady bugs or flies or whatever I was reading about at the time.

He drove 16 hours to surprise me with a fish aquarium for my birthday. It was really an amazing gift. I have pretty much kept fish ever since. There are a handful of years when I have been fishless, but when life is stable I always have a tank going.

I currently have a 475L fancy goldfish tank. :) Ranchu are so cute, little puppies of the aqua world. I actually keep a planted goldfish tank, which is work but doable. I am planning on reworking my set up, maybe having a pond for the goldies and building a silver dollar tank with my current system. I love silver dollars, they are basically rainbows when the light dances on their scales and they have really cute faces in my opinion. !

I love your bettas @11bryces Thank you for sharing them. Reading about your first tank brought back some nice memories.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
I am amazed by fish and aquariums. I got my first tank from my grandfather when I was around 11. I remember it being a very memorable birthday. My parents always bought me things that they wanted me to be, but never really listened to me. Like I was into frogs, animals, insects...they would get me a barbie and expect me to be a proper girl...

Well my grandfather was different. He would take me to natural history museums and look at every drawer of insects and enjoyed sharing that with me. He even listened to me when I would awkwardly jabber on, for who knows how long, about lady bugs or flies or whatever I was reading about at the time.

He drove 16 hours to surprise me with a fish aquarium for my birthday. It was really an amazing gift. I have pretty much kept fish ever since. There are a handful of years when I have been fishless, but when life is stable I always have a tank going.

I currently have a 475L fancy goldfish tank. :) Ranchu are so cute, little puppies of the aqua world. I actually keep a planted goldfish tank, which is work but doable. I am planning on reworking my set up, maybe having a pond for the goldies and building a silver dollar tank with my current system. I love silver dollars, they are basically rainbows when the light dances on their scales and they have really cute faces in my opinion. !

I love your bettas @11bryces Thank you for sharing them. Reading about your first tank brought back some nice memories.
very beautiful story and im guessing your relationship with your grandfather was awaesome ! :loveshower::loveshower:
i would love to see your goldfish and i encourage you to upgrade them to a pond since goldfish do so well in ponds, i also find ponds quite pretty, mine is a small 600L but my 5 goldfish are super happy in it :heart2:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

i would love to see your goldfish and i encourage you to upgrade them to a pond since goldfish do so well in ponds, i also find ponds quite pretty, mine is a small 600L but my 5 goldfish are super happy in it :heart2:

I am technically not allowed koi nor goldfish (from my understanding could be wrong) to be kept in an in-ground pond. I think they are worried that flooding will wash the fish out into our environment. So I would need an above ground pond which I would probably keep on my veranda. I haven't started the project yet, because a basin that is a good size for the goldies gets expensive fast. I also need to have a fitted screening or decorative mesh on top. The wild birds will definitely each the ranchu in 2 sec. So the project is in the planning stages. Hopefully within the year. :)

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
I am technically not allowed koi nor goldfish (from my understanding could be wrong) to be kept in an in-ground pond. I think they are worried that flooding will wash the fish out into our environment. So I would need an above ground pond which I would probably keep on my veranda. I haven't started the project yet, because a basin that is a good size for the goldies gets expensive fast. I also need to have a fitted screening or decorative mesh on top. The wild birds will definitely each the ranchu in 2 sec. So the project is in the planning stages. Hopefully within the year. :)
what about the popular "tubs" a lot of goldfish keepers use in the us ? i see this everywhere on youtube and social media ! and some look quite nice !

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
what about the popular "tubs" a lot of goldfish keepers use in the us ? i see this everywhere on youtube and social media ! and some look quite nice !
Not a bad idea :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ohhhhhhhh your tanks are gorgeous! And those bettas, they look great. You take excellent care of all your animals/fish.

I had planted tanks....13 of them at one time. None now, as I'm told I can birds or fish but not both.

What a great story! I was about 11 when I upgraded to a 29 gallon. I'd had a 5 gallon for a couple years. My dad was the one who got me interested. He would buy me any fish or plant I wanted, we had a lot of fun together doing that. He still has a tank now (claims it's for my nephew but -- we all know better).

Only photo I can find, thanks photobucket.

planted_tank_June_2014_zpsaunvvgdm.jpg