• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ALL FISH OWNERS BEWARE OF THIS

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Hello, I own two large comet goldfish. As we leave the house often, we used feeder cubes. DO NOT USE THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It BURNS THEM and KILLS THEM SLOWLY. Our fish are very very sick because of it, one more so. It’s even sadder because the fish that is healthier cuddles the limp one. We are desperately trying to nurse her back to health, but it’s looking grim. DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will switch them over to something else- maybe zucchini when we are gone. That is, if they aren’t dead by then! DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
It is rather amazing.. Hopefully they'll pull thrugh! Can you maybe consult a vet on how you'd be able to help them better?

sending healing and strenght your way!

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
It is rather amazing.. Hopefully they'll pull thrugh! Can you maybe consult a vet on how you'd be able to help them better?

sending healing and strenght your way!
yes, we asked someone at Denny’s pet world to run a water sample- that’s how we found out. They told us to clean the water ASAP! Thank you so much for the well wishes, I hope they pull through as well

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I never trusted feeder cubes cause they're literally just decomposing into the water. I hope your fishes get better soon!

Do a 50% change and then perhaps 20% over the next few days? Do you have water testing kits to check the ammonia/nitrate levels? That would be super useful to check if the water is safe.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I am so sorry.

What food brand is it?

I can't remember the one I used for my goldfish whilst we were on holiday, but they were fine. The lived to get to about 5 or 6 years old

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
So sorry for this! Water changes, every other day maybe 20%. Do you add in any aquarium salt?

Not sure where you live, but Stress Coat will help soothe their skin.

Reactions: Ali

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply! @clarousel - we are planning to use that water cycle and to purchase a water Testing kit. Thanks for the advice!

@Sand - im not quite sure, but I’m pretty sure it releases nitrates that mess with the PH so badly it causes burning

@Ali - we used Top Fin fish food feeders

Reactions: Ali

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
A sad update-

the white fish passed away :( she was a very large comet that we have had for almost 8 years now. The gold one seems to be in mourning. That was such a tough fish. She survived a disease before that permanently messed up her mouth. Waiting for my mom to wake up and dispose of her :(

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
A sad update-

the white fish passed away :( she was a very large comet that we have had for almost 8 years now. The gold one seems to be in mourning. That was such a tough fish. She survived a disease before that permanently messed up her mouth. Waiting for my mom to wake up and dispose of her :(
I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was a real fighter!

:sorrow::hug8:

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
I can attach photos if you’d like, but I assume no one wants to see a dead fish. It’s horrible because the gold one is laying next to her. It’s absolutely heartbreaking to see their 8 year bond be broken

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I didn’t know those existed! I will definitely keep that in mind.
They are better for flake, the turtles long thin pellets jam it up so times so I don't use it often. Worth a look, they aren't to expensive

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I can attach photos if you’d like, but I assume no one wants to see a dead fish. It’s horrible because the gold one is laying next to her. It’s absolutely heartbreaking to see their 8 year bond be broken
We could get a staff member to put sad update/ graphic images if you do. I suppose any images etc. would help with people with problems in the future?

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
We could get a staff member to put sad update/ graphic images if you do. I suppose any images etc. would help with people with problems in the future?
that’s what I was thinking, but I can just describe the early signs

-they also had cotton wool disease. That’s when white, fluffy stuff starts growing on their Fins.

-we saw the PH imbalance by taking the water to get tested. Looking at the fish, she has red splotches all over her body. She was pooping white.

- she sank to the bottom

-for anyone in the future, please look closely at them!