• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All chicken/duck owners!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
Gather around and tell me about them! :D Where do you keep them? Can you make a "chicken or duck room" for them? Or is that idea just crazy? Do you keep them for their eggs? Do they smell? Do they need a "nest"? Are they loud? Do you let them near your parrots? Do you have a kiddie pool so swim in? (ducks) Sorry, I'm a chicken and duck newbie newbie.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
duckforRoiChoi.jpg

:hehe: first!! :cheer:

R

Rahel

Gather around and tell me about them! :D Where do you keep them? Can you make a "chicken or duck room" for them? Or is that idea just crazy? Do you keep them for their eggs? Do they smell? Do they need a "nest"? Are they loud?
Our chickens and turkeys are in the barn where they have their own horse stalls (rebuilt to their needs). They can go in and out as they want to, the turkeys just come in for the night. Our Royal Palms were pretty wild and would sleep on the roof of the barn, depends on the breed, some are more domesticated then others who are still quite wild.

The guineas stay out all the time and just come in to sleep in the roof ridge when it is cold outside, otherwise they stay in the trees for overnight.
We keep the chicks for the eggs and because it is fun to watch them. The turkeys will go into the freezer eventually...
The guineas are here to prevent us from ticks and all kinds of kreepy-crawlies.
I looove watching them and to listen to their chatter when they walk by.
And yes, they all smell, I would never suggest to have poultry in the house, they really don't belong there.
The chicken need something to lay their eggs in and so do the turkeys. The guineas make their own nests outside in the tall grass, it is almost impossible to find the eggs expect you really spend a lot of time and watch them where they to go.
Our chicken are not loud at all but it is the breed (Silkies), there are a lot of chicken that can be loud (what is loud anyways when you are used to live with a Macaw? :D). The turkeys and guineas chatter a lot and I do not look at it as a noise but lots of people do, so it is in the eye of the different people to declare what is noise and what is not.

This is our flock, I would love to have geese or ducks but without a creek it is not going to happen, to much work to clean out the pond all the time...

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Our chickens and turkeys are in the barn where they have their own horse stalls (rebuilt to their needs). They can go in and out as they want to, the turkeys just come in for the night. Our Royal Palms were pretty wild and would sleep on the roof of the barn, depends on the breed, some are more domesticated then others who are still quite wild.

The guineas stay out all the time and just come in to sleep in the roof ridge when it is cold outside, otherwise they stay in the trees for overnight.
We keep the chicks for the eggs and because it is fun to watch them. The turkeys will go into the freezer eventually...
The guineas are here to prevent us from ticks and all kinds of kreepy-crawlies.
I looove watching them and to listen to their chatter when they walk by.
And yes, they all smell, I would never suggest to have poultry in the house, they really don't belong there.
The chicken need something to lay their eggs in and so do the turkeys. The guineas make their own nests outside in the tall grass, it is almost impossible to find the eggs expect you really spend a lot of time and watch them where they to go.
Our chicken are not loud at all but it is the breed (Silkies), there are a lot of chicken that can be loud (what is loud anyways when you are used to live with a Macaw? :D). The turkeys and guineas chatter a lot and I do not look at it as a noise but lots of people do, so it is in the eye of the different people to declare what is noise and what is not.

This is our flock, I would love to have geese or ducks but without a creek it is not going to happen, to much work to clean out the pond all the time...

We have a neighbor a few streets down that do the same thing. We keep ours in a coop next to the house. It has a run attached to it for the days that they need to stay in but weather providing they are allowed out. I also have our two silkies on our porch as one got injured and I had to take it in until it stops limping and then I didn't want her to get lonely so I brought the other in too!:o:

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Our chickens have a house with a large fenced yard attached.

The three ducks have their own little house, and this year, we put in a pond to replace their kiddy pool. We have a biological filtration system with a pump, and so far, it's kept up with their waste. Here's a photo from right after it was completed. I still haven't landscaped around it - that's a project for next year.

Attachments

cece4

Strolling the yard
I keep my girls in a shed with a fenced in yard.They get to free range when Im outside or someone is with them..We lost one last year to a neighbors dog and I was only gone for a minute.I have only three hens now, they're pets and give me lots of eggs.One is an Australorp(best pet ever)The other Aussie was the one that got eaten, it was very sad. and two rather bossy Rhode Island Reds..The head hen is one of the RI's and she is serious business, even the cats dont mess with her.But she lets me pet her. When they were chicks we kept them in the attic but seriously if you think parrots are messy chickens are twice as messy...Huge poops too, the dogs love those poops(ewww!!)

BTW I dont recommend chickens in the house, very very dusty, they love to scratch in leaves and grass, have dust/dirt baths and of course those huge tarry poops arent funny either.Maybe a small bantam or quail but not a full size chicken.Plus I think noone should have just one chicken, they are nervous without a buddy. Ohh and they are pretty quiet except when laying eggs, then they just cackle and cackle, either it hurts or their happy about laying an egg(not figured that one out yet)

Last edited:

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Our farm flock is as follows:

2 Royal Palm toms (father and son)...our hen was killed by a &^*$ raccoon. :mad:
14 laying hens...Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, and Americauna.
4 Muscovy drakes
8 Guinea keets
1 Canada goose
1 Embden goose

Our chickens are the only ones kept in a coop at night for protection sake, but they are free range along with the other birds during the day.

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
chicken lick birds need lots of naturl lite to keep them heathy but we still have there indoor pen because ornimentle breeds arnt vary torlerable to cold so a night and during the winter they stay in the porch/chicken room:D

tibanks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tina
I have 4 hens that are kept in a coop at night and during bad weather..We live in the city so my chickens are living in an urban setting..We have neighbors on all sides. I love keeping chickens, my favorite hen is a Polish name Mamacetta

Status
Not open for further replies.