• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All About Agatha

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
So! Agatha has been home for a little over a month now. She started feeling at home right away and immediately played with all of her toys, found her food and water just fine, has been eating regularly and poop looks good :) She does this thing where she grabs onto the side of the cage and starts to squawk and flap her wings rapidly, if I remember correctly when birds do this it's to let out excess energy/exercise/stretch their wings, right?

She loves to talk to Percy, who is caged next to her, and has started to join Ollie in telling me goodbye in the mornings and welcoming me home at night. She has the sweetest little chirps :xflove: She has gained strength and is climbing her cage quite well compared to when she first came home :) She is also so goofy to watch play with toys because she really goes after them :lol: and oh boy is she a shredder!!

I waited a while to get her out, even though she seemed comfortable in her new home already.
When I did go to get her out it seems that any bonding we did while she was at the bird store completely disappeared. She was terrified of my hand as soon as I put it in the cage, and when she did come out all she did was flail around and try to run away from me. I didn't want to stress her out so I let her roam around the room and find her cage on her own, and ended up having to help her in because she can't fly all the way yet (clipped wings at the bird store to keep her from flying into the windows) and couldn't climb the shelving that is on the bottom of her cage. Since then I've just opened her door to see if she wants to come out on her own, and she doesn't :lol:
One day at dinner I filled her bowl and put it on the door and she ventured out to eat, but didn't stay long.

So, all my IRN slaves out there, what is the best way to build trust again? I know not to force her out/make her do things she doesn't want to, but my birdy knowledge of building trust seems to have disappeared lol. I've gotten use to Ollie just loving me and not having to work at it anymore. Should I approach her with perches instead of my hands? Should I just keep leaving the door open and not approach her at all? Any and all tips are appreciated here :D

Tomorrow I will upload some pictures and videos I've taken of her. I'm on my computer right now and all the pictures are on my phone :p She has BEAUTIFUL coloring, lots of grey on her white that really pops :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad things are going so well! Looking forward to seeing pics.

Reactions: Lo_

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Just give it time, keeping your routine consistent will go far in building trust
I like your approach about keeping the door open with food . Of course under supervision . Once she is comfortable with that, move on to step-up, with a perch, or hand, if she's not leery of hands.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
E26415D8-1A2F-4EB5-BD79-DB12608CB192.jpeg
she just so happened to show off her coloring pretty well as she explored the room DAE500D5-4445-4C70-A318-CE09920AD778.jpeg 2254B3C3-4D46-4C82-9E9C-39661B17D07C.jpeg
The leg tuck :D ABD29730-792C-44B5-B441-8A22483F7099.jpeg
Picking an interesting way to check out the new bath lol 776017F0-71A4-4E61-81F9-A1EF8EE00EB0.jpeg AE4EE15D-D473-4829-9101-09439AFF99FE.jpeg
She’s a dunker, just like her brothers :wacky: E3E5EFD3-9404-41FD-89C8-156CADE4703C.jpeg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg:Stunning!!!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
She is so cute!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is very beautiful. Glad you're taking it slow. My bird can never resist not being close to what I'm doing without him. If I sit on the floor (or in your situation a chair in front of the cage may work better) and play with a toy like I'm having the best time of my life, he cannot resist to come see what I'm doing. He usually ends up coming closer to join in on the fun. If you try something like this, reward any forward movement from her towards you to let her know what you would like her to do. You could use this same method while reading to her and treating any forward motion or interest in you.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
She is a beauty :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Dish on door - either make that into the treat dish, or replace it with a dish for treats. (metal, fantastic!) Any time you walk by the cage, drop a treat into it.

Place a short perch by said dish. You can always teach her to station on said perch, then open the door very slowly, keep rewarding that behavior, and voila, she's out!

She may even benefit from some target training through the cage bars. If she will take treats from you, great! If not, place some extra treat cups around the cage so you can drop them into the cup to reward her for the desired behavior.

These can help her learn to enjoy your company on her terms (kind of ;) ) while getting her more used to coming and going from the cage.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
She is very beautiful. Glad you're taking it slow. My bird can never resist not being close to what I'm doing without him. If I sit on the floor (or in your situation a chair in front of the cage may work better) and play with a toy like I'm having the best time of my life, he cannot resist to come see what I'm doing. He usually ends up coming closer to join in on the fun. If you try something like this, reward any forward movement from her towards you to let her know what you would like her to do. You could use this same method while reading to her and treating any forward motion or interest in you.
Thanks for the tips! Will keep you guys updated on how we do :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Dish on door - either make that into the treat dish, or replace it with a dish for treats. (metal, fantastic!) Any time you walk by the cage, drop a treat into it.

Place a short perch by said dish. You can always teach her to station on said perch, then open the door very slowly, keep rewarding that behavior, and voila, she's out!

She may even benefit from some target training through the cage bars. If she will take treats from you, great! If not, place some extra treat cups around the cage so you can drop them into the cup to reward her for the desired behavior.

These can help her learn to enjoy your company on her terms (kind of ;) ) while getting her more used to coming and going from the cage.

Thank you! Will try this. Right now she runs when I approach the cage :shy: so we will slowly work on it all :D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If she runs when you get near the cage then try approaching slower, announce your presence before coming into view, and, if necessary, don't look directly at her.

Having Sylphie, the ARN here, I can say that it can take time! But then again, she's a wild caught import, so her perhaps longer than one born in captivity!