• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alex's place

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Alex and I live in Mossel Bay, a coastal town along South Africa's East coast.

Much of the town is located on a peninsula and Alex's apartment is at the Point, so surrounded by ocean on three sides.

In the photo, you can see the St. Blaize light house, which is one of only two light houses along the entire length of South African coast line, which is still manned 24 hours per day and which still signals to ships via a horn during periods of heavy mist.

The St. Blaize caves, which excavations reveal were home to middle stone age people, are situated below the light house.

The building with the "golden" windows houses Alex's apartment and the Chrysler (only car out this morning) in the photo, is my vehicle. I saw it in the States originally and took a fancy to it. Had a difficult time sourcing one in South Africa, but eventually managed to get one.

And then a photo of Alex taken this morning as well.

Lighthouse.jpg

Alex Autum 1.jpg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Beautiful!!!!

Do you get tourists there?

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
That looks like a beautiful place to live!

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Mossel Bay is a very popular tourist destination Clueless. The locals don't like being intruded upon, but tourist bring much needed revenue to the town.

I own a small public Aquarium (well, was sole owner until the lock down, but took on a business partner thereafter, so am now joint owner) and we are very dependant on tourists, although we are not really seeing many yet, due to the pandemic.

Here is a photo of the sunset this morning, taken about a half hour before the photo of alex and myself was taken.

Alex Autum 2.jpg

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do u keep any non aquatic animals too at ur aquarium?

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Only aquatic animals. We are most well known for our "swimming with sharks". We house two female smooth hound sharks that have been with me for five and a half years. Visitors can enter their 60 thousand litre tank and interact with the girls. Both sharks have been trained to allow swimmers to make contact with them. Swimmers are not in a cage, they are free in the water with the sharks. The girls are "Bonnie" and "Bean" and I am very proud of them both. Beautiful animal in absolutely optimal condition.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's so cool!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Great pics as always. :heart: Mossel Bay looks like a beautiful place.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Mossel Bay is a beautiful area. Looks like it would satisfy my love of the ocean and desert. Let's see - you are going into winter now. Does it ever get bitter cold there - like below zero (f)?

I dived for 13 years, until my arthritis got bad enough that it was no longer fun. Most of my diving was in the Sea of Cortez and the Caribbean. Loved the Sea of Cortez - like Jacques Cousteau said, it really is a fishbowl and there are many of the big guys there who winter in Cortez. Plus lots of sharks. I only saw sharks loose in the water three times. Once in a planned shark dive, once at the Sea Mound in the Sea of Cortez I saw the huge schools of Hammerheads and once in Bimini a small grey was beating feet away as fast as he could. Ever since watching those divers ride the Great Whites in South Australia and Tiburon I've wanted to do that. I did get to pet a Silky in Bimini where they gather around the docks looking for a hand out.

Miss diving a lot.

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Mossel Bay has a very mild climate Mary Lynn. Some internet sites claim it has the second most moderate climate internationally, but I am not too sure of that. It can get cold, but not below zero F.

I remember you speaking about your love for diving and interest in sharks. You have dived in some beautiful spots.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is a very beautiful place to call home. I’m so glad you and your Alex are in such a wonderful place!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Looks like a picture on a postcard. Beautiful.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Beautiful spot to live. I hope you were able to get the Turbo version of that PT Cruiser convertible. My mom has a normal 08 PT and I used to have a 95 Neon coupe which is the platform that became the PT Cruiser with a bigger engine.