• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine parrot advice needed :)

Glenn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Glenn
Hi everyone.my name is glen and I love in Halifax Ns. I joined this site as I would love some advice / information about alexandrine parrots. My wife and I are looking to have our first pet bird. We have had other pets thought out the years and currently still have a very relaxed cat who wouldn't hurt a fly. We live in a duplex and have no kids at home. Our house is smoke free with ample room for a large cage and even a play stand. Someone we know has a 3 yr old Alex parrot for sale who has a great personality and I'm told is an amazing bird. My wife and I are looking for a bird that likes affection and human interaction out of the cage so ( from what I've read ) this species is a nice fit. She also loves the idea of him being able to talk a bit. I would welcome any advice or suggestions to help me decide if this species is a good fit for us. There is so much information out the I thought it would be best to ask the people with first hand experience. Thank you so much for any suggestions. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Welcome, welcome!

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
Welcome! Good luck with your new bird!
Although your cat is very docile, be sure to keep them a safe distance away because cats can be very unpredictable, especially older cats.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I had an Alexandrine named Marlin the most awesome bird I ever Had.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Sarah Shahzad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sarah shahzad
have u bought it ?or still thinking to? alexandrine parrots are very independant . if u want a parrot that u can also cuddle with or u can pet him thn alexandrine parrots are not a good choice . because if u give them toys then they are like who the hell are u :p but if u want to its a great choice but my advice is that you take a well behaved and and a well trained alex parrot because they are hard to train and they get trained very slowlly

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
have u bought it ?or still thinking to? alexandrine parrots are very independant . if u want a parrot that u can also cuddle with or u can pet him thn alexandrine parrots are not a good choice . because if u give them toys then they are like who the hell are u :p but if u want to its a great choice but my advice is that you take a well behaved and and a well trained alex parrot because they are hard to train and they get trained very slowlly
I had a Alexandrine Parrot named Marlin. like most parrots, they are flock orientated and will interact with their human flock. Marlin was very social and preferred to be with us than his toys. He was not HARD to TRAIN and he DIDN'T TRAIN SLOWLY. The secret is time, lots and lots of time of bonding and training. Like all animals if you want a well-behaved and trained animal then you need to put in the time. This is my personal experience. Alexandrine Parakeets are known has gentle giants and are up there with the African Grey and Eclectus for intelligence. Yes Alexandrines are AMAZING bird and if you have the chance to get one, grab it with both hands. you won't be sorry. Don't believe everything you're told about Alexandrines.