• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine, IRN and more!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
These links hope to make it easy to browse for commonly and uncommonly kept Pstittacula Species. Understanding more about where they come from will help inform proper enrichment activities.

Considering getting one? Listen to audio clips of their calls. They will happily carry on with these calls in your home, and you should understand their full range.

If you follow each link it will help inform the different, yet similar looking, types... such as Slaty vs Plum vs Blossom, etc. These are all unique species from different areas but are sometimes mislabeled, hybridized or misunderstood in captivity. If you look at the IRN and compare it to an Echo, you may think.. well they look the same! Listen to their calls, it may surprise you how unique they are. If you explore the range of Rose-rings, these birds are referred to as ARN and IRN in aviculture you will see they are subspecies of the same psittacula krameri. They are referred to as IRN and ARN in captivity because of slight colouration differences. Please note that this list is not exhaustive, if you don't think your bird fits any of these explore other psittaculas in the archive. Have fun and enjoy the amazing images, videos and audio clips! Do your research and know your bird. :D

Psittacula Species _Cornell Labs_ Archive

Plumhead
Alex
IRN/ Rose-ringed
Derbyan
Slaty head
Blossom head
Gray headed
Echo
Malabar

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Sadly, I can't get any of those species as they are illegal here in India :(
I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. It would be good if people could get licenses as prohibition seems to make things worse. Australia isn't perfect, not even close, but I do think it is good that licenses are required for many native species. There is an obligation to protect out native fauna. I still see some of these birds in bad situation though, so it isn't perfect. Though if you keep a licensed native species illegally you will get heavily fined which helps protect native nests.