• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine Diet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not certain of any Alexandrine specific requirements, but most parrots do well on a combination of pellets, fresh veggies, and a bit of fruit and nut as treats. How old is your bird and what are you currently feeding?

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
I'm not certain of any Alexandrine specific requirements, but most parrots do well on a combination of pellets, fresh veggies, and a bit of fruit and nut as treats. How old is your bird and what are you currently feeding?
Hey sorry about the late reply, so i was feeding him maybe a tablespoon of seeds and pellets mixed in but he doesn't eat any pellets and heaps of fresh vegies and fruit (brocoli/carrot/brussel sprouts/snow pea's/broad beans/legumes/capsicum/chilli & apples/berries/pears) whatever's in season i guess but i got told by shezbug about the fruit being too much sugar cause i really didn't know it was bad for him and about the seeds so im trying to sprout some now and cut down on fruit and seeds but is there a specific pellet thats best for my bird? and my birds 10 and half months now

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
and like if they have a good diet do they need added vitamins like the liquid you add to the water? and worming do is need to be done often?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
and like if they have a good diet do they need added vitamins like the liquid you add to the water? and worming do is need to be done often?
You can get the nutriblend pellets in a smaller pellet if you prefer. I feed both the nutriblend and SAM blend to Burt, Birdie also has the same as Burt at the moment.
You could feed the vetafarm plain pellet recommended for your species and the nutriblend if you chose to.
If they’re eating a pellet you will not need to add vitamins.
Worming should only be done if your bird has worms.

Reactions: tka

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
thats what im not sure ill get nutriblend again but it doesn't matter the size of them yeah there all same but different size?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am not certain but I think the nutriblend shows the size of bird it’s recommended for- I’ve never checked if there’s a nutritional difference between the sizes- Burt prefers the small pellets and there’s less waste when I feed that size.
image.jpg

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
ok ok ill try different sites petstock doesn't show for medium size only large and small thanks heaps for the help

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
I'm waiting for the sprout thingy to come too for now i just followed the sproutpeople thing and just had a crack and see if it works

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
ok ok ill try different sites petstock doesn't show for medium size only large and small thanks heaps for the help
I get the small size of vetafarm pellets, I think they are a nice size and so far totally fine for both my large birds to just pick up and swallow- the larger ones they take a tiny crumb off and drop the rest of the pellet.

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
I get the small size of vetafarm pellets, I think they are a nice size and so far totally fine for both my large birds to just pick up and swallow- the larger ones they take a tiny crumb off and drop the rest of the pellet.
yeah will give that a go thanks, have you got pics of your sprout set up

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
yeah will give that a go thanks, have you got pics of your sprout set up
No I don’t. I have the same sprouter you showed me a pic of though. I don’t use it that much tbh as Burt isn’t a big fan of sprouts and doesn’t get seed. Birdie is still a work in progress food wise, so far he won’t even touch his food bowl if it has sprouts in it- he will climb to the floor looking for scraps that aren’t sprout tainted lol.
Squeak also isn’t a fan of sprouts.