• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

alex and me

winniezon

Jogging around the block
i bought this book: Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 09.46.42.png
then the author said she liked the alex and me book so i researched about it and now i am ordering it.
have any of you read it yet?
it looks really nice.
then when i was looking for more birdie books and i came across this! why is it so expensive?????? is is really thick or something?:confused::eek::wideyed::scrstf:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is so expensive because there are not very many copies (three last I looked ) of them available in the world. One print of them was done and that is it. I also believe it is the best macaw book out there.

ETA: I believe that is the big reference book Macawnutz is often going to check for members needing help.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
It is available to you only at 300 euros!!! :omg: When I checked for it over here, it was listed at around 1193 euros (one lakh and five thousand rupees!!!)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It is a very large heavy book. Oversized, full color pages and thick glossy paper. The copy I have was loved by the person that bought it and then given to a member here. That member loved it for years and gave it to me. :) I will do the same someday but I actually use it often. Almost as often as my clinical avian medicine set.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
These types of books are usually quite expensive. They´re not made for your average Joe, they´re made for people who really want to dive in. Breeders, enthusiasts, conservation students etc
I have a book like this for lovebirds, a big hardback book written by an expert, and cost 150 - though it is still available new, but I noticed mine is numbered out of 1000 so I think once the rest are sold, they will cost more, secondhand as there will be no more new books readily available.

Here, it is listed at £1205 :ohdrama:
That is a ¨new¨ book. They probably don´t print it anymore so finding a new condition book will be like panning for gold.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read Alex and me, ume. It was refreshingly honest (sounds like even spoiled Alex feather picked) & fun to read. She's a good writer.

On the topic of avian books, what would you recommend ordering for a book on bird biology? I've realized reading these forums that they're not really like us at all. I'd like to learn anatomy, functions, genetics, etc.

I have learned enough biology, neuropsychology and genetics to follow a non-beginner book, but possibly not enough to follow a super advanced one.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I got the audiobook of Alex and Me from the library a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. I came away from it with huge respect for Dr. Pepperberg and all the obstacles she faced as a woman in science, doing research that most of her colleagues didn’t think was worthwhile.

At one point she talks about a device she was trying one of her other greys on- it was a sort of parrot-operable enrichment machine where they can play audio clips and press a lever to look at pictures, as I recall. It was sort of limited, possibly because the technology was new. Weird little custom computing applications have come a long way, and I think it could be a great programming project to set up a raspberry pi with chew-safe levers to let your parrot put on music or the TV while the owner isn’t home.