• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

albino ringneck dove?

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Found a listing for a ringneck dove in CL.

By the photo, she is albino. Seller says very tame. Been reading about limited eyesight in the albinos, and their difficulty in outdoor sunlight. I wanted a dove (or pair) that would have an indoor cage, but could enjoy the big aviary space already built and sitting EMPTY during the day.

Not sure on this one. She is local, and I won't purchase anymore shipped animals after a FedEx nightmare last year. Been interested in them for a long time. We have lots of wild ringnecks in the usual grey, and I am very fond of them. They nest in our outbuildings. Even wild, they are almost tame. Sweet birds. I am very fond of them, and wanted a domestic one for myself.

Thoughts?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've had Albinos in my life, they see just as well as others. The only drawback, is if in the wild, they are more susceptible to predators because they dont blend in. If you get her. And keep her in a safe aviary during the day, and inside at night, she should be fine.

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
Thanks. I was afraid they might be basically blind, and I can't seem to dig up much useful info on the albinos. Some white doves (seem to at least) photograph with black eyes, while others are white, and specified as albino, and they eye reflects pink. Saw one photo with a black eyed parent, and a baby described as albino. Haven't found any genetic specifics on what makes one vs the other.

I contacted the seller again, and am waiting to hear back.

No transportation on my side for two weeks (I don't trust our truck, and simply don't drive it - car is with BF on travel for work), so if seller is willing, he will have to meet me in my town. I suggested the small park next to the police station, and he can choose any convenient time. I don't give out our home phone, and refuse to have anything to do with a cell - all which probably makes me look sketchy from his end, but he will just have to make that decision for himself. I'll be waiting with my transport cage and the specified cash if he wants to meet.

Not many people keep birds around here; I was surprised to find the listing.
Hope he gets back to me.

Serin

Some albino birds have very poor vision. Some seem to see as well as normally pigmented birds. I have not had a dove, but I have cared for three albino budgies and an albino society finch. The budgies seem to be as capable as any other budgies, and I had one who spent time in an outside aviary and did very well. But, the society finch was almost blind. She had very bad eye sight, hit walls a lot, and couldn't see in anything less than a sunlit room. I had to keep a fluorescent light on her cage at all times, and while the rest of the finches would all leave the cage to fly, she wouldn't unless it was totally light out. A cloudy day, and she acted like she couldn't see at all outside of her cage.

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
I did end up purchasing her. The eyes look like a regular pigeon's eyes - kind of reddish orange.
She must have caught the light of the flash in the pic.
Not particularly tame yet, but a beautiful, sweet girl.
So far, doing well.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Oh! Do you have any pics?

I LOVE them, i had a pair in the past, they would so easily sit on my shoulders each night :heart: