• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Akoya broke a nail again can't stop the bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ba-b4

Meeting neighbors
I'll share my little trick. This works great for my flocks foot injuries over the years. Never once failed. First clean wound with sterile spray saline solution and then some hydrogen peroxide to disinfect. Then I dab on some aloe vera gel or medical wound honey. But here's what really works to stop the bleeding. Sprinkle the bottom of a shoe box with a decent layer of corn starch, tapioca starch or flour. Put the bird in there and close the top. Make sure you poke a few air holes of course. This way in the dark the bird will calm down from whatever trauma it suffered from the wound and as it walks around it continuously coats the bleeding wound with more corn starch. I never use septic powders or anything medicated like neosporin gels because I found my birds to always pick at their wounds with their beaks. Medicated antiseptic ointments and septic powders are probably toxic and shouldn't be ingested. Cyanne pepper's a new one to me though.. wouldn't it be pretty painful to sprinkle chili powder on an open wound? :confused:

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
Never had to deal with a broken nail or injured foot. But for broken blood feathers I pack corn starch in the bleeder. It usually works pretty good. Messy, but good.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I'll share my little trick. This works great for my flocks foot injuries over the years. Never once failed. First clean wound with sterile spray saline solution and then some hydrogen peroxide to disinfect. Then I dab on some aloe vera gel or medical wound honey. But here's what really works to stop the bleeding. Sprinkle the bottom of a shoe box with a decent layer of corn starch, tapioca starch or flour. Put the bird in there and close the top. Make sure you poke a few air holes of course. This way in the dark the bird will calm down from whatever trauma it suffered from the wound and as it walks around it continuously coats the bleeding wound with more corn starch. I never use septic powders or anything medicated like neosporin gels because I found my birds to always pick at their wounds with their beaks. Medicated antiseptic ointments and septic powders are probably toxic and shouldn't be ingested. Cyanne pepper's a new one to me though.. wouldn't it be pretty painful to sprinkle chili powder on an open wound? :confused:
Have used it on myself, it does sting for a few minutes BUT the healing effect it has on wounds/cut is amazing..they close up quicker and don't get infected...You can mix it with aloe also.....:hug8:

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
I'm new to birds so i don't know that much but I will pray for your birdie!

SallyPax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelley and Valerie
My bird is having a toe nail issue as well. How di it all work out?

Status
Not open for further replies.