• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Akoya broke a nail again can't stop the bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Akoay broke a nail again this morning. I got the bleeding to stop fairly quick. Had her in hospital cage and she was doing good so put her back in regular cage and now it's bleeding ad won't stop. There's no er avain vet in this area. Been doing cayenne pepper. Is there anything else I can do? This girl has lost alot of blood.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Use a kleenex or paper towel wrap tight and apply pressure.

gary

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks Gary.
That's what we've been doing. Wasn't sure if there was anything else we could try.
Seems to have stopped bleeding finally. We got it to stop before I came down here but then the clump of pepper would fall off and it'd start bleeding like crazy again. Glad hubby is home this time.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Is there any certain food we can give her to help with the blood loss? I have the hospital cage in a warm place and covered with a towel when we do put her back in. It's also on it's side and so she won't climb.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Once you have the situation under control, offer your bird some orange juice and something to eat.

gary

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Susan, what made the nail break?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:eek: :hug8:

Amazondude

Checking out the neighborhood
You can try rubbing the nail in a bar of soap. It will plug the nail and stop the bleeding...Another thing you can do is apply styptic powder and pressure which will also stop the bleeding..Hope this helps.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
LAST RESORT ONLY...If you have any super glue, the area can be coated with that and it will seal it closed to stop the bleeding.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You can try rubbing the nail in a bar of soap..
That doesn't sound good, no offense. There could be fragrance or something harmful in it.
Hope your baby is feeling better today.:hug8:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Everybody should have a tube of Super Clot in there First Aid Kit. It's not that expensive and it does the job without stinging.

Synergy Labs Super Clot 0.75oz

Ginger
Never heard of it, thanks for the link Ginger :) I usually rely on whatever's in the cupboard at the time - normally cornflower...... :eek: It does the job sufficient enough to buy time to get to the vets..

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Super clot is a great product. You have control over where it goes, it's not messy and it works instantly.

Ginger

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I wonder if it can be imported into Aus??? Time for some research..

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks everyone.:hug8:

Susan, what made the nail break?
I don't know. I'm almost wondering this time if Chatters didn't bite it off. After the first time I got the bleeding to stop and I put her in the hospital cage I figured I'd put Chatters in with her like I had done last time. But this time he was being very aggressive towards me, which I thought no big deal he's protecting his "mate"(they've never bred but they're a pair) but then he turned on her and started attacking her biting her wing and just going nuts.:eek: So I quickly grabbed him out of there and put him back in the main cage.
I do have a boing in there but there isn't any loose thread for her to get it caught in so I really don't know.

Everybody should have a tube of Super Clot in there First Aid Kit. It's not that expensive and it does the job without stinging.

Synergy Labs Super Clot 0.75oz

Ginger
I'm going to have to get some of this. Thanks for sharing.:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ice found that cayenne pepper is really hot and painful if applied to skin,etc, so I never use it on any wound. Ive also found that syptic powder really hurts when hits the skin as well, so I dont use that whenever I can avoid it on nails. Instead I use plain white baking powder, and it works real well.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

That doesn't sound good, no offense. There could be fragrance or something harmful in it.
Hope your baby is feeling better today.:hug8:
I also 100% advise against that. The friction of rubbing the nail onto the soap can be very painful and cause unneeded stress and pain.

sundance

Moving in
Real Name
Marylou
3 days ago my african grey fell and cracked his beak on inside...a lot of bleeding. We rushed him to the vet the vet used some stuff like the dentist uses to stop the bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.