• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Airsac mites

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
How do we treat for mites in terms of their living environment?

Preeno had two doses of Ivermectin for potential air sac mites and I just had a quick google - Ivermectin has been scientifically proven to be an inhibitor for a lot of viruses including COVID :wideyed: I skimmed through this so I may have misread something... really does seem like a wonder drug
Interesting! Thank you for the share.

I use ivermectin for parasite prevention in my hens. I usually feed it to them in a grape, since those girls love grapes and swallow them whole. It helps me to control the dose since they are different sizes. I carrel them one at a time into a separate area and feed them their grape. They are good girls :)

I have never treated Zippy or Peppy and sometimes the parrots say Hi to them. Do you think I should treat my indoor birds too @finchly ?

Reactions: Ali

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here’s some information @Ali . I use SCATT on he bird and Avian insect liquidator on the environment.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Interesting! Thank you for the share.

I use ivermectin for parasite prevention in my hens. I usually feed it to them in a grape, since those girls love grapes and swallow them whole. It helps me to control the dose since they are different sizes. I carrel them one at a time into a separate area and feed them their grape. They are good girls :)

I have never treated Zippy or Peppy and sometimes the parrots say Hi to them. Do you think I should treat my indoor birds too @finchly ?
I didn't know you could get ivermectin without a vet!

Not sure about in Singapore but I could get SCATT. Preeno isn't exposed to any other birds so when should I dose him again, if I do so at all? The last ivermectin dose was about 2 weeks ago.

Also I was told SCATT goes on their legs?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I didn't know you could get ivermectin without a vet!

Not sure about in Singapore but I could get SCATT. Preeno isn't exposed to any other birds so when should I dose him again, if I do so at all? The last ivermectin dose was about 2 weeks ago.

Also I was told SCATT goes on their legs?
I’ll tell you an interesting thing. I put the dose on back of the neck ( on skin, not feathers) but recently my vet said he drizzles it onto the jugular vein.
Do you only have one bird? You could probably do twice yearly.

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I’ll tell you an interesting thing. I put the dose on back of the neck ( on skin, not feathers) but recently my vet said he drizzles it onto the jugular vein.
Do you only have one bird? You could probably do twice yearly.
The ivermectin was given under the wing where the skin is thinest but I don't know if this can be done with SCATT?

Would the jugular be the side of the neck? Speaking of necks, I've been wondering for the longest time if birds have feathers all around the neck? Because Preeno has this part of the neck which is completely bare which is only visible if I move the feathers when giving scritches.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Ali Found it. Permethrin is the ingredient— same as the room spray I use.
I can’t find a bird study but in humans with scabies it’s even more effective than ivermectin. Interesting!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@clarousel the bald patches around the neck when you move the feathers is normal :)