• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Airsac mites

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Can all birds get affected by these or is it mainly canaries and finches. Also it's not a zootonic condition is it.

Reactions: Ali

Mantis64

For your sake, STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!! You will only worry yourself!
Oh I'm not worried just curious, I only worry when I think something is wrong with Cosmo I'm just doing research as I'm the far future I want to get one.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I know, but you'll start worrying if you are told that all birds can! I can't help here and I can't think who to tag!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mantis64

I ask on this site as a lot of the stuff I find online isbt very reliable or give specific answers sorry if you feel like I'm being stupid i like asking you guys because you guys are so knowledgeable. Sorry :(

Mantis64

Canaries, finches, budgies, and other small birds are prone to air sac mites.

It is less common or does not happen in medium-large birds.

Your IRN is a okay
I know just want to be aware

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I do appreciate @Mizzely 's joke.

Poor @Mantis64 I know you care deeply for Cosmo. He is one lucky birdo. You need to have that balance of sharing adorable pictures between asking questions. Then everyone can get their Cosmo fix and they will be so in love with his cute face that they will be more will answer all of your questions.

You just need to remember that we all selfishly just want more bird pictures!! :bluhug:

clarousel

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it more likely for your bird to get air sac mites when it's housed with lots of other birds in poor living conditions?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it more likely for your bird to get air sac mites when it's housed with lots of other birds in poor living conditions?
No.
veterinarians have determined that ASM exist in nearly all canaries and finches now. Also when I took a budgie to the vet last week he indicated the same for them.
ASM can move around your aviary so even if you’re a clean freak it’d be pretty easy to miss one. Or 100.
Plus They get in crevices in the air sacs where they’re unaffected by the medication, that’s why it is so hard to get rid of them.
However, even though they’re most likely present, they are prone to become more active at times of stress. Maybe that’s what you are thinking of — there’s a surge of ASM troubles when the environment is unclean or crowded.

Treat your littles for mites, people, and do it on a regular basis.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

Mantis64

No.
veterinarians have determined that ASM exist in nearly all canaries and finches now. Also when I took a budgie to the vet last week he indicated the same for them.
ASM can move around your aviary so even if you’re a clean freak it’d be pretty easy to miss one. Or 100.
Plus They get in crevices in the air sacs where they’re unaffected by the medication, that’s why it is so hard to get rid of them.
However, even though they’re most likely present, they are prone to become more active at times of stress. Maybe that’s what you are thinking of — there’s a surge of ASM troubles when the environment is unclean or crowded.

Oh I never knew that that's good to know thanks.

clarousel

No.

How do we treat for mites in terms of their living environment?

Preeno had two doses of Ivermectin for potential air sac mites and I just had a quick google - Ivermectin has been scientifically proven to be an inhibitor for a lot of viruses including COVID :wideyed: I skimmed through this so I may have misread something... really does seem like a wonder drug