• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Airlines no longer allowo birds

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Heart Breaking NEWS. For some reason unbeknownst to me airlines no longer accept birds as Emotional Support Animals. Does anyone know which airlines allow birds to fly?

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Before I learned that California banned quakers, I know Delta would allow me to travel with mine if their carrier fit underneath the seat in front of me on the plane. However, there was a two pet maximum on each flight so I had to arrange it make sure no one else was flying with a pet.

See also this summary, which was updated in November: Can You Bring Your Pet Bird on Your Flight?

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Heart Breaking NEWS. For some reason unbeknownst to me airlines no longer accept birds as Emotional Support Animals. Does anyone know which airlines allow birds to fly?
Before I learned that California banned quakers, I know Delta would allow me to travel with mine if their carrier fit underneath the seat in front of me on the plane. However, there was a two pet maximum on each flight so I had to arrange it make sure no one else was flying with a pet.

See also this summary, which was updated in November: Can You Bring Your Pet Bird on Your Flight?
Delta no longer accepts birds as an ESA.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think this decision came after the lady who'd brought her ESA peacock on board. Now let's see if they also rule against miniature ponies, because, Yes, someone once brought their ESA miniature pony on board.

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I was able to travel to Puerto Rico with Oliver as my ESA on Delta in February 2019. Upon booking a flight this year I was told Delta changed their policy to no longer accept birds as Emotional Support Animals in March of 2019. I then tried booking the same with United since they were on a list of airlines that allow birds I googled and was told they too no longer allow birds. I'm wondering if all the bird owners around the country could unite to change this policy?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You can still fly with them but you have to pay.

Listing them as an ESA animal is them traveling for free. You can fly with birds but you have to pay to fly with them.
The reason this is changed is because rather than paying people were getting phony letters from therapists saying they needed such and such animal for emotional support.
ESA is an EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMAL. A bird should never be an emotional support animal. They can NOT be with you 24/7 in all stressful situations.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A bird should never be an emotional support animal. They can NOT be with you 24/7 in all stressful situations.
Write that down in stone somewhere. The worst candidate as an EMA. EMA is a joke in my opinion.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
.....and for the record I should clarify that this is an extremely sore subject for me.

Years back I was hired to do a series of performances at a few pet expo's on the east coast. When the airfare schedule arrived to me it included a laminated tag listing Echo as an ESA animal and also contained a letter from a therapist stating that I required the bird with me at all times for emotional support! o_O Excuse me?

I called immediatley and asked what the .... it was and I was told it was $200 more per trip to pay for the bird but listing him as ESA was free. I not politely told him to pay it before I sued him!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Write that down in stone somewhere. The worst candidate as an EMA. EMA is a joke in my opinion.
The world we live in.... most times I have no comment.

While I am sure it benefits a small percentage of people the percentage that abuses it outweighs.
I see it often at my work and we have to challenge it being that our park contains animals. I will not under any circumstances allow an animal into my birdroom. Even if you are blind and have a seeing eye dog it won't happen. Funny that people claim to need the ESA animal in our horse show but when they find that the dog is not allowed in the birdroom... they can do without for an hour. :rolleyes:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
It can be abused & is...An ex tenant had an emotional support cat & her boyfriend a pitbull. since he visited we had to allow the pitbull as even guests are allowed there esa even though we have a no dog policy.

The thing is then she asks me if I want to take care of her cat as she was going away for Thanksgiving a couple days on holiday!!!!

Yeah, the cat that that was so emotionally needed is left alone on thanksgiving to fend for themself & on top of that they had the nerve to ask me the mgr if I would be available to take care of the cat. I just politely said no...as some people just think of themselves & work the system to their benefit. My duties do not include personal assistant or pet sitter...She also left the cat home all day when she went to work...The cat was just a cat & we allow cats but an esa can waive the pet deposit!!!!!! Obviously the cat was not an emotional support animal.

Law in housing adds any animal...a bird qualifies & who knows where it ends but I would not want a horse upstairs no matter how mini it was stomping all over the place...

I am tempted to get my birds a ESA...I have a new neighbor who has some OCD issues & I/m afraid a few bird calls is going to set her in a anxiety mode. I live in a fear now after she moved in & my birds are not noisy birds but they do let off a few boisterous calls once or twice a day that even get on my nerve so I understand & don;t see a bird really as emotional support 24/7...Penny is most of the time but even she can get my pressure up...

I know some people are genuine but alot do pay a therapist to write the RX so they can have a dog in a no dog housing & take an animal shopping & on the plane free...Service dogs are specially trained & certified. I can see that is a necessity for a handicap. Still I agree mental or emotional issues are a handicap & I am not without them but I'd speculate maybe half the esa's are just for convenience & not a 24/7 necessity.

Well, there I vented...

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I think this decision came after the lady who'd brought her ESA peacock on board. Now let's see if they also rule against miniature ponies, because, Yes, someone once brought their ESA miniature pony on board.
Wow, I would have loved to see a photo of that! The only ESA I have seen on any of my flights was a duck. It was pretty cute, but the handler didnt sit anywhere near me so I dont know how the duck fared on the flight.

.....and for the record I should clarify that this is an extremely sore subject for me.

Years back I was hired to do a series of performances at a few pet expo's on the east coast. When the airfare schedule arrived to me it included a laminated tag listing Echo as an ESA animal and also contained a letter from a therapist stating that I required the bird with me at all times for emotional support! o_O Excuse me?

I called immediatley and asked what the .... it was and I was told it was $200 more per trip to pay for the bird but listing him as ESA was free. I not politely told him to pay it before I sued him!
I am so happy you said something! To me, it seems like the airlines cracked down on ESAs because too many people were abusing the system, which is a shame for those who do need ESAs. One of my friends had gotten an ESA for his 6 mos old puppy so that he would be able to take his pup to the bars. There was no other reason for the ESA.

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Frist off I don't believe in order for an animal to be qualified as an ESA that they need to be with the person 24/7 as obviously there are situations where it makes sense for them not to be present. No matter how much stress or anxiety I may be dealing with spending time with my Orange Wing reduces my stress and anxiety. Caring for him and seeing him happy makes me feel a lot happier. I used to be so depressed there were times I didn't want to get out of bed. Now I look forward to waking up each and every day. I can definitely say my quality of life has improved immensely since Oliver has come into my life. The thought of a life without him is extremely unbearable.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
ESA gets massively abused in my opinion. I’m pretty sure everyone can say that their pets bring them joy, make their life happier and help them destress. That doesn’t mean they need to be with you 24/7 and that you can’t go on vacation without them. I just came back from a cruise where some lady had little fifi sitting at the table with her on the dining room. That was disgusting imo

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
They have banned all animals except for dogs. In a way I don't blame them because it was starting to get ridiculous.

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
ESA gets massively abused in my opinion. I’m pretty sure everyone can say that their pets bring them joy, make their life happier and help them destress. That doesn’t mean they need to be with you 24/7 and that you can’t go on vacation without them. I just came back from a cruise where some lady had little fifi sitting at the table with her on the dining room. That was disgusting imo
I agree there are situations where it makes sense for them to not be present. Aa far as taking them on vacation goes anyone who has a parrot especially an Amazon can attest to the fact that they suffer when left alone for long periods of time. So its not only for the benefit of the owner but for the bird as well. Birds are NOT for everyone as they are a huge responsibility. These birds did not ask to be born in captivity or to be pets. Therefore, I would hope and pray those who choose to become a bird parent understand they are not things but a member of the family and should be treated as such. Apparently that is NOT the case hence it's part of the reason why there is a huge rehoming population.

Last edited:

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I agree there are situations where it makes sense for them to not be present. Aa far as taking them on vacation goes anyone who has a parrot especially an Amazon can attest to the fact that they suffer when left alone for long periods of time. So its not only for the benefit of the owner but for the bird as well. Birds are NOT for everyone as they are a huge responsibility. These birds did not ask to be born in captivity or to be pets. Therefore, I would hope and pray those who choose to become a bird parent understand they are not things but a member of the family and should be treated as such. Apparently that is NOT the case hence it's part of the reason why there is a huge rehoming population.
I recently learned Delta allows you to travel with your bird for a fee so long it is within the continental US and I believe there is a 2 pet limit per flight so it's better to book your flights via telephone so they can advise whether or not there is room for your bird's reservation as per the 2 pet limit.