• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air sack mites! HELP !!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
yes it confused me too lol, yes they suggested i give them ivermectin, also suggested that the 8in1 spray is α good product but i didn’t know if i was supposed to give them antibiotics and i started worrying and was going to call in the morning and ask if i was supposed to be doing that, this is my first time treating them so i didn’t know if i was doing anything wrong, thank you for setting things straight.
If your vet did not prescribe antibiotics then I don’t think you should be giving them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
thank you so much. so should i do the treatment, then antibiotic the next day then anti inflammatory the next or should i give any of them simultaneously? also when should i give the probiotics?
Sorry I went to sleep right after my messages!
Hopefully your vet has given you answers. Normally you’d give them all at once.
Probiotics are used after antibiotic use but actually are beneficial all the time. I give them year around. If you give them with antibiotics you’re sort of wasting them, as the meds kill off what the probiotic supplement is putting in.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
If your vet did not prescribe antibiotics then I don’t think you should be giving them.
yes i definitely agree i just thought i was doing something wrong and was going to contact them in the morning, thank you

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
Sorry I went to sleep right after my messages!
Hopefully your vet has given you answers. Normally you’d give them all at once.
Probiotics are used after antibiotic use but actually are beneficial all the time. I give them year around. If you give them with antibiotics you’re sort of wasting them, as the meds kill off what the probiotic supplement is putting in.
she said they would be okay because isnt a bad infestation but if anything changes to let her know and bring them in, thank you for your help

Em.gnzz

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emily
Also... after the antibiotic use you’ll want to give a probiotic.
Would this be a good probiotic to give them? Also do I have to treat all my budgies with oral medicines?
51pOlcPMwWL._AC_SY400_.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Would this be a good probiotic to give them? Also do I have to treat all my budgies with oral medicines?
View attachment 371324
I’ve never heard of this brand-/ anyone else?
What are the ingredients?

Yes. Please treat all your birds at the same time so the mites don’t just move from one to another.

Em.gnzz

Real Name
Emily
@finchly I ordered the Desect Insecticide on your website! I would really appreciate it if you could explain how to use it since has so many instructions and I am confused on which to follow.

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks!
OK so here’s wht I do with it. I sprinkle it below t he grate onto the newspapers and in nestboxes every time I clean them. I put it around the perimeter of the room (it’s safe for dogs/cats). I personally use a different product on the birds themselves. I know people who put it on the birds - the body, never the head - I just choose not to do that. Some people add it to their seed, I guess to deter bugs - I don’t do that either.

So you’re basically following the poultry directions. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry to sticky beak.... what is it?

Em.gnzz

Real Name
Emily
Thanks!
OK so here’s wht I do with it. I sprinkle it below t he grate onto the newspapers and in nestboxes every time I clean them. I put it around the perimeter of the room (it’s safe for dogs/cats). I personally use a different product on the birds themselves. I know people who put it on the birds - the body, never the head - I just choose not to do that. Some people add it to their seed, I guess to deter bugs - I don’t do that either.

So you’re basically following the poultry directions. :)
So it's safe for the birds to eat and inhale?

Em.gnzz

Real Name
Emily
I am so sorry to bug you again! I have a question about the scatt and the desect. For the scatt the instructions say every 21 days however, my budgie has heavy breathing and tail bopping so should I apply more frequently? Also, if they shower do I reapply? About the desect you mentioned following the poultry directions however, the poultry directions say to follow the outside instructions, can I still put the powder around their cage if it's inside my house? Once again I am sorry for bothering you, thank you in advance!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi! Don’t do SCATT more often than 21 days; it stays in their blood stream that long, so that would be like an overdose.

Yes I sprinkle the powder in nests, on the paper at the bottom of the cage (only with a grate in) and around the perimeter of the room. Just try not to make a big, dusty mess with it. :D

Em.gnzz

Real Name
Emily
Hi! Don’t do SCATT more often than 21 days; it stays in their blood stream that long, so that would be like an overdose.

Yes I sprinkle the powder in nests, on the paper at the bottom of the cage (only with a grate in) and around the perimeter of the room. Just try not to make a big, dusty mess with it. :D
I'm so scared of the powder, it seems really dangerous because of all the warnings . But yes I will do this! Thank you so much once again, you're a big help to me!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You’re very welcome.
It’s only bad if you make dust. There’s a thing you can use to put it exactly where you want it without a dust cloud.
BTW yesterday in a forum some said to put your bird in a paper bag with the stuff, shake it, take bird out. I do NOT recommend this.
Also - I saw where you were on my chat app and I wasnt there. I’m sorry. I dont quite have the hang of that yet.
DEAFD6B1-DD06-4F16-9A12-5EDDB42B4FAE.jpeg