• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air sack mites! HELP !!!

Em.gnzz

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emily
Recently I posted a thread about my budgie's health, he had laboured breathing, sneezing, bopping tail and clicking while breathing. (It sounds horrible at night) I took him to the vet and they took x-rays, the vet said it looks like he might have air sack mites.

I took him once towards the end of November and again towards the end of November. They've reccomend 2 oral medications and 1 directly on the skin. I don't see any improvements so far but the vet claims she sees less tail bopping (she isn't lots of help and doesn't give specific instructions).

I also have 5 more budgies who are with him 24/7, they are most likely infected as well, but show no signs. Does anyone know how to safely get rid of air sack mites in a budgie? I'm really desperate for help and have had constant anxiety over this. Please help!

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Do you have any other avian vets where you live? I would see another vet if I were you...

Em.gnzz

Real Name
Emily
Do you have any other avian vets where you live? I would see another vet if I were you...
This is the second vet I have visited, there are no avian vets in my city. I always have too drive to another neighboring city

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@finchly should be able to help you with perfect exact instructions for using your mite killer- If I remember correctly you need to apply it and then reapply it in an exact amount of days. Wait to see what Tanya (finchly) says ;)

Meanwhile can you post the name of the products you were given by the vet?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes, thank you for your help! Should I message this user or are they tagged?
The medications are..
- Enrofloxican
- Metacam
- Iverlux
I have tagged them for you. You will not be able to PM yet as you do not have enough posts. Tanya will be along as soon as she sees the tag

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Emily!
So you have 1 budgie with ASM. You’ll need to treat them all, and also treat the environment. This article will help you get started.
Your iverlux takes the place of the SCATT or S76 mentioned in the article. However, the other 2 meds you have are
1. An antibiotic (commonly called baytril) which vets seem to prescribe to every small bird for any condition and
2. An anti-inflammatory.

So those are not really mentioned in the article, but considering a really bad mite infestation they might be necessary.

There are 2 other articles linked at the bottom of that one - read those too please.

And if your vet is not a certified avian vet, you might want to look for one. :)

These mites should be easy to treat. If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
Also... after the antibiotic use you’ll want to give a probiotic.
in the next few days i’m going to treat my cockatiels and budgies with ivermectin, what steps after that should i take

Em.gnzz

Real Name
Emily
Hi Emily!
So you have 1 budgie with ASM. You’ll need to treat them all, and also treat the environment. This article will help you get started.
Your iverlux takes the place of the SCATT or S76 mentioned in the article. However, the other 2 meds you have are
1. An antibiotic (commonly called baytril) which vets seem to prescribe to every small bird for any condition and
2. An anti-inflammatory.

So those are not really mentioned in the article, but considering a really bad mite infestation they might be necessary.

There are 2 other articles linked at the bottom of that one - read those too please.

And if your vet is not a certified avian vet, you might want to look for one. :)

These mites should be easy to treat. If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
Thank you so much for your help! ♡♡♡

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
in the next few days i’m going to treat my cockatiels and budgies with ivermectin, what steps after that should i take
You want to also treat the area. Mites can be in cages, cracks and crevices. I use a spray called Avian insect liquidator but there are others as well.
Also, most people treat a 2nd time to be safe. I do it on day 21.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
You want to also treat the area. Mites can be in cages, cracks and crevices. I use a spray called Avian insect liquidator but there are others as well.
Also, most people treat a 2nd time to be safe. I do it on day 21.
thank you so much, with the one i’m using it says to repeat after 14 days and 3 times α year maybe so i’ll do that, and have you heard of the 8in1 lice and mite spray? i got that and haven’t used it on my budgies because i’m too scared to get it in their eyes but do you know if it’d be safe to use along with the treatment? it’d be something i used for their cage and on their feathers

Em.gnzz

Real Name
Emily
Also... after the antibiotic use you’ll want to give a probiotic.
What is a probiotic? Do you reccomend any? Do I have to treat all my birds with oral medications? I have also read that giving them too much medication at the same time can cause the mites tho die all at once and can kill the bird.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
thank you so much, with the one i’m using it says to repeat after 14 days and 3 times α year maybe so i’ll do that, and have you heard of the 8in1 lice and mite spray? i got that and haven’t used it on my budgies because i’m too scared to get it in their eyes but do you know if it’d be safe to use along with the treatment? it’d be something i used for their cage and on their feathers
Yes if it says that please follow their instructions.
I have heard of that spray. I think it’s fine to use, put your hand over the eyes, beak to shield them.

What is a probiotic? Do you reccomend any? Do I have to treat all my birds with oral medications? I have also read that giving them too much medication at the same time can cause the mites tho die all at once and can kill the bird.
The medications can be put in their drinking water.
I too have read the warning about the mites dying and killing the bird, but I’ve never met anyone it happened to! Don’t worry. I think it’ll be fine.
Probiotics... well when you or your bird take antibiotics, they kill off the bad and good gut flora. To get the good part back you take probiotics.
They can be given to your bird daily without harm.
Here’s one by Morning Bird, they’re a great company. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012UM1R70/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_wxpeGbP00XS8Z

Em.gnzz

Real Name
Emily
I have heard of that spray. I think it’s fine to use, put your hand over the eyes, beak to shield them.

I too have read the warning about the mites dying and killing the bird, but I’ve never met anyone it happened to! Don’t worry. I think it’ll be fine.
Probiotics... well when you or your bird take antibiotics, they kill off the bad and good gut flora. To get the good part back you take probiotics.
Here’s one by Morning Bird, they’re a great company. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012UM1R70/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_wxpeGbP00XS8Z
Thank you once again!!!

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella

thank you so much. so should i do the treatment, then antibiotic the next day then anti inflammatory the next or should i give any of them simultaneously? also when should i give the probiotics?

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella

and i’m sorry to ask so many things, i’ll order the insect liquidator tmr, but until that comes do you know any temporary solution i could use for the area around? i just don’t want to wait and the mites get too bad, they aren’t bad off at all yet but i don’t want to take any chances

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
Hi Emily!
2. An anti-inflammatory.

wait i’m sorru i’m just tired i read that you said it’s not necessary unless it’s α bad infestation, mine definitely is not but do you think it’d still be α good idea to give α probiotic afterwards or at least something like brewers yeast?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@isabella99 did your vet prescribe antibiotics and anti inflammatory?

Sorry, I just want to double check that you’re not just giving medical stuff to your bird because someone else’s birds was prescribed it. This thread is a little confusing for me to follow (which is why I’m asking you about a vet prescription) as you’ve come into a thread someone else started. I’m worried you’re mistaking the advice given for the OP and I just want to make sure I understand who was prescribed what.
I know that Em.gnzz was prescribed some things other than mite spray but I don’t recall reading anywhere that you were also prescribed medications for your bird- please correct me if I’m mistaken.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
@isabella99 did your vet prescribe antibiotics and anti inflammatory?

Sorry, I just want to double check that you’re not just giving medical stuff to your bird because someone else’s birds was prescribed it. This thread is a little confusing for me to follow (which is why I’m asking you about a vet prescription) as you’ve come into a thread someone else started. I’m worried you’re mistaking the advice given for the OP and I just want to make sure I understand who was prescribed what.
I know that Em.gnzz was prescribed some things other than mite spray but I don’t recall reading anywhere that you were also prescribed medications for your bird- please correct me if I’m mistaken.
yes it confused me too lol, yes they suggested i give them ivermectin, also suggested that the 8in1 spray is α good product but i didn’t know if i was supposed to give them antibiotics and i started worrying and was going to call in the morning and ask if i was supposed to be doing that, this is my first time treating them so i didn’t know if i was doing anything wrong, thank you for setting things straight.