• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

air sac mites on canary? (sad update #8)

rony1259

Moving in
Real Name
rony
hi,

my canary is 7 years old about 2 days ago i noticed that he is puffy with heavy breathing just like in this video: the only difference is my canary's mouth is very slightly open and it's hard to notice. i also noticed clicking sound sometimes like he is chewing something.

anyway the vet is long distance by car i don't want to stress the bird should i ask for air mite medicine ? any way i can aid him until i get the medicine? warm temperature reduce ( 30C ) his puffy feathers. is apple cider vinegar will aid a little bit?

rony1259

Moving in
Real Name
rony
i forgot to add the canary can't fly but eat and drinks and walk/stand on the bottom of the cage breathing heavily. but if the cage gets warmer if i put it near a sunny window he tries to fly and fail. (can't reach the stick)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Could be mites but also could be a respiratory infection or a damaged air sac. Unfortunately it’s impossible for us to know. Really needs to see a vet. I believe there’s an online vet that does consultations.

rony1259

Moving in
Real Name
rony
Could be mites but also could be a respiratory infection or a damaged air sac. Unfortunately it’s impossible for us to know. Really needs to see a vet. I believe there’s an online vet that does consultations.
the nearest vet wanted 90$ just for the check without medication/treatment. i live in Israel if any vet can offer consultation online at a reasonable price i'm interested.

anyway found this product i'll give it a try and buy it from a pet store.

will that put my canary at risk? any more suggestions?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’ve heard that’s a good product. Your bird should not be at risk with it.

I’m sorry, I don’t have more suggestions. I’m tagging a couple people to see if anyone knows the online vet. @Lady Jane @zoo mom

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
@saroj12 has used an online vet, I think.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
SCALY FACE MITES ! (Article by Lisa Morrison)
Scaly face mites are a common parasite that occurs mostly in budgies & canaries although it can occur on other parrots too.
Scaly face mites is very serious and without treatment can cause very bad deformities of your birds beak and often leads to death by starvation.
What is scaly face mites:
Scaly face mites are a very tiny microscopic bug, the mites tunnel into your birds leaving a thick, scaly, crusty residue. The most common places they tunnel into are under your budgies cere, around the beak, the budgies feet and sometimes around the vent.
Symptoms:
If you birds cere or feet become to look crusty or scaly its likely it has got scaly face mites. The crust may be on the cere, on the beak or around the outside of the birds mouth. if can also cause feather loss around the beak and eyes.
Treatment:
Most treatments found in pet stores are NOT effective and some are unsafe. A mite spray will not fix this problem, seek treatment from your avian vet as soon as possible!
Do you need to disinfect/mite treat the birds cage?
No, Scaly face mites only live on their host and don’t spread onto items in the cage. However it is extremely contagious so if you have more than one bird you need to treat them all even If they are all not showing
symptoms.
Left untreated scaly face mites will eventually burrow deeper and deeper into your birds face, affecting not only the beak, cere and eyelid they can also attack the feet and vent of your bird. Eventually the beak will become so deformed that your bird won’t be able to eat and will likely die of starvation.
Please get your bird treated if you notice these symptoms. The quicker you start treatment the easier it will be to get rid of the mites.
mites face.jpg

mites foot.jpg

rony1259

Moving in
Real Name
rony
Unfortunately the canary died this morning after i got the antibiotics medication he went to the seeds box tried to eat then closed his eyes and collapsed in front of me in the cage. :(

he looked like this i knew it was the end :(

probably combination air sac infection + old age i got him for almost 7.5 years and i don't know the exact birth date.
I still got the female canary (6 years old with me) alive so i keep watching her i don't any air sac mites early signs on her so it was bacteria infection or something

should i give here the antibiotics now or only if i see signs of illness? the vet said 1 drop in the mouth not in the water tank can you put it in the water tank?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m very sorry for your loss

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry for your loss. Area around birds eyes look crusty too if thats not normal feather color than the eyes were weeping.
Can you clean out the cage & disinfect it to protect the other bird?
You are not sure what happened & could be infection. Seems to be dried poop clung to bars & if it was contagious the other bird could get sick too. Could be respiratory or sinus infection. Could be alot of things.

Antibiotics can be specific to various things & not helpful for others or perhaps even harmful in some cases on a compromised bird.

Monitor carefully & I'd clean/disinfect cage & bowls etc to be on the safe side

:sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss.

rony1259

Moving in
Real Name
rony
Sorry for your loss. Area around birds eyes look crusty too if thats not normal feather color than the eyes were weeping.
Can you clean out the cage & disinfect it to protect the other bird?
You are not sure what happened & could be infection. Seems to be dried poop clung to bars & if it was contagious the other bird could get sick too. Could be respiratory or sinus infection. Could be alot of things.

Antibiotics can be specific to various things & not helpful for others or perhaps even harmful in some cases on a compromised bird.

Monitor carefully & I'd clean/disinfect cage & bowls etc to be on the safe side

:sorrow:
i cleaned the cage replaced the water and seeds. that video is not my bird i couldn't film it too painful didn't want that memory of seeing the bird gasping for air with half closed eyes. i hope he didn't suffer too much the death was quick as fall and stopped breathing.

the female is fine they were closely together all that time, i don't see any changes in her behavior singing loudly flying tight features eating etc...

if a bird is alone she would still hide her illness from me? if i remember the male stopped singing in the morning and was less active in the last month before the illness. 2 days before he died i also saw he had a cyst looking thing on his back close to the tail with a yellow tip might be an ingrown feather not sure it that was the cause of death.

but he was always breathing faster then the female might be a gender difference. i heard males also getting stressed more easily than female canaries.

if after a week the female canary is still fine with no signs of illness, the male might died from old age or organ failure?
i talked to the local pet store he said it most likely due to old age and even with the correct medicine the chances are low at that age. he said canaries can go to 10 years max under proper conditions and if they're not inbred. but on the internet is says 15 max with rare cases of 15-25 canaries. might be a myth.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
My heart aches for you, sending many prayers your way

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:Sorry, for your loss.

I hope your other bird will be fine.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
I know the one in the video isn't yours, but Christ, look at the state of that cage. And they have left the bird in there sick and dieing with another Canary, and then leave gangster rap playing in the background as it dies, gasping for air. No surprises their bird is getting sick.

I do not think your bird had air-sac mites, I've had to treat my bird for air-sac mites and she didn't look like that, and also they would have infected your other Canary.

rony1259

Moving in
Real Name
rony
Almost 3 weeks passed after the male died and i buried him in the woods in a secret place.

the female is doing fine singing and active tight feathers. i still wonder what was the cause of death ? might be his old age ? if its was fungal or bacterial the female will have got it by now? usually with old pets it's internal organ failure or maybe immune system failure...

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
Unfortunately the canary died this morning after i got the antibiotics medication he went to the seeds box tried to eat then closed his eyes and collapsed in front of me in the cage. :(

probably combination air sac infection + old age i got him for almost 7.5 years and i don't know the exact birth date.
I still got the female canary (6 years old with me) alive so i keep watching her i don't any air sac mites early signs on her so it was bacteria infection or something

should i give here the antibiotics now or only if i see signs of illness? the vet said 1 drop in the mouth not in the water tank can you put it in the water tank?
im so sorry for your loss.