• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air sac looks broken, like frogspawn

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Adelie has had a rough couple of days laying her two eggs. Last night when I was cleaning the cage before bed, I found egg #2, it looks decent but a little longer than normal. I had been giving her the supplements the vet gave me back in feb and tody she is back to normal, completely fine.
However I candled the egg, because why not, and saw weird ¨bubbles¨. I rotated it and the bubbles move. I then rotated it and sat it up and it appears that the air sac is broken/deformed and it is moving around creating this weird bubbles looking thing in there. The egg was sat on my table here all night and day without being moved.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is there a problem with her? I didn´t look at the first egg more than see it was a good size and shape with a nice shell, she broke it playing football with it later that day.

Edit; to add photos,
IMG_20221008_181321.jpg IMG_20221008_181329.jpg IMG_20221008_181507.jpg

Last edited:

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I have heard of the air sac detaching in chicken eggs that were shipped. I vaguely recall something about placing them upright to force the air sac into the correct position but I don't know how likely the egg is to successfully hatch and I don't recall anything about it being a problem with the chicken who laid it. This information may be totally irrelevant but maybe it will help.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wonder if she played football with the egg but didn't crack it? I hope that's what it is and not that there's something wrong with her..

IMG_20221008_220945.jpg IMG_20221008_221036.jpg IMG_20221008_221105.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I hope she is completely okay & it just got knocked around somehow. I wonder what the vet will think of it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's so odd! I've never seen that!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have zero egg experience, and I hope the vet can help!

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wonder if it might be worth asking on a poultry forum where they hatch hundreds of eggs?
I have hatched hundreds of chicken/turkey/peafowl eggs both from my own birds and shipped. I’ve never seen something frothy like that upon cracking? But I have to admit I have candled eggs and had them have that similar bubbly look you describe, but haven’t bothered to crack them open. Either just left them to see if they developed and if not, just threw them out without cracking.

but again, I have seen that look through the shell, but never cracked open to confirm if it looks the same as your opened photo.

Edited to add- weird things happen with egg production systems in poultry all the time and the hen is normally fine despite it. I’d suspect she is probably also fine

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
If you are looking for a good poultry forum try backyardchickens. I have been a member for years and they are great!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´ve just puled two eggs from Lapis, and one of hers also has the bubbles in it. It´s bizarre. I´ve never seen anything like it. But now I have two birds with the same weird thing so close together....... I´ll shoot an email off to the vet tomorrow.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I´ve just puled two eggs from Lapis, and one of hers also has the bubbles in it. It´s bizarre. I´ve never seen anything like it. But now I have two birds with the same weird thing so close together....... I´ll shoot an email off to the vet tomorrow.
did you find out why eggs are like this ?

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
When I saw the title of the post, I was afraid you meant your bird's lung...whew!
Hope the mystery gets solved.