• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air purifier

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
I need to take claritin daily even with a whole house HEPA system and filters in each room. I love birds but am allergic. Plus I want more in my home! :) Parrots that is.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yeah that was all over my shirt earlier. Are there people that sensitive to the dust that still have them as pets
Oh definitely. It's like cat people - I know so many who are allergic to cats but still have one because they love them. One friend of mine get allergy shots for it because he won't live without a cat in the house.

layed on my face and that’s when it seem to have my throat burning some
Maybe it's super close contact then. I'd still try an allergy medicine just to see if it helps anything, just in case.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I need to take claritin daily even with a whole house HEPA system and filters in each room. I love birds but am allergic.
You're a perfect example then!

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Oh definitely. It's like cat people - I know so many who are allergic to cats but still have one because they love them. One friend of mine get allergy shots for it because he won't live without a cat in the house.

Maybe it's super close contact then. I'd still try an allergy medicine just to see if it helps anything, just in case.
You’re so right. I might have to take something. That could’ve been it too

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
I need to take claritin daily even with a whole house HEPA system and filters in each room. I love birds but am allergic. Plus I want more in my home! :) Parrots that is.
So I’ll you take is Claritin and what is your symptoms

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
So I’ll you take is Claritin and what is your symptoms
Just stuffy nose and mild scratchy throat, like a tickle. I'm allergic to most animals but it never has held me back. I even want a chicken coop.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Just stuffy nose and mild scratchy throat, like a tickle. I'm allergic to most animals but it never has held me back. I even want a chicken coop.
He was trying his flying out and landed on my face after that my throat and nose hurt.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I use a coway, it does a decent job and wasn't that expensive. As you look at them, also look at the cost of replacement feature.
I have to vacuum the top filter about every 4-6 weeks. It catches a lot of bird dust.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
I use a coway, it does a decent job and wasn't that expensive. As you look at them, also look at the cost of replacement feature.
I have to vacuum the top filter about every 4-6 weeks. It catches a lot of bird dust.
We have hardwood floors and I have a mop steamer. I just didn’t realize how dusty they were and I think I’m a bit sensitive.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So I just got him Saturday so I need to change his poop try daily!?! He want get out my sight so I bring him in my bedroom during the day but I think I’m about to stop that and get an air purifier in all the rooms. I love him tho
Yes food, water replaced with fresh stuff each day and poop cleared away each day is the best practice.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Yes food, water replaced with fresh stuff each day and poop cleared away each day is the best practice.
K he will only eat his food if his seeds filled to the top of his dish. I leave the food in there at all times. Should I do that!?!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It's the throat burning that concerns me. I know @Shezbug has said how badly her cockatoo bothers her - Shez does he make your throat burn too?
Can't say I have noticed a burning throat but my nose and sinuses kinda stings or burns and I get short of breath. Birdie's dust sets my asthma off so I limit my exposure to his dust by keeping his cage as clean as I can. I am lucky that he is an outdoor bird.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Can't say I have noticed a burning throat but my nose and sinuses kinda stings or burns and I get short of breath. Birdie's dust sets my asthma off so I limit my exposure to his dust by keeping his cage as clean as I can. I am lucky that he is an outdoor bird.
Ah, yeah asthma makes a difference!

@Allycat21! maybe you have a dander induced type of asthma? I know that can definitely happen with people and their pets.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
K he will only eat his food if his seeds filled to the top of his dish. I leave the food in there at all times. Should I do that!?!
What kind of dish are you using? Most birds are happy to eat seed from their dish at a lower level. None of my birds have dishes full of food, they get enough to keep them fed for the day, I give them all fresh pellets or seeds (depending on the bird) and they all get fresh sprouts/veg every morning.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Oh k well mines not lol. I’ll just have to clean his cage everyday as best as I can

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
What kind of dish are you using? Most birds are happy to eat seed from their dish at a lower level. None of my birds have dishes full of food, they get enough to keep them fed for the day, I give them all fresh pellets or seeds (depending on the bird) and they all get fresh sprouts/veg every morning.
The round Steele ones. I think his breeder had his food to the top of it

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Ah, yeah asthma makes a difference!

@Allycat21! maybe you have a dander induced type of asthma? I know that can definitely happen with people and their pets.
Could be. As long as he don’t fluff his feathers in my face I think I’m good. I love him tho.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Asthma sufferer here as well. One of the reasons I've had HEPA filters since they were the size of two tires stacked on top of each other (honeywell 80's). Now with just the smaller filter and daily meds I can nap in the bird room.

Edit: we have a lot going on in this thread

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The round Steele ones. I think his breeder had his food to the top of it
No sure of the bowl size but that sounds like an awful lot of food to have out for one bird for one day.

I would start to lessen how much you put in the bowl so you can refresh the food each day and have some idea on how much food your bird is consuming each day- always beneficial to know how much food your bird eats each day.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
No sure of the bowl size but that sounds like an awful lot of food to have out for one bird for one day.

I would start to lessen how much you put in the bowl so you can refresh the food each day and have some idea on how much food your bird is consuming each day- always beneficial to know how much food your bird eats each day.
Yeah I just got him Saturday so I’m still learning. Thank you