• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air purifier

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have hardwood floors all in our house. Idk about sweeping seems to make it worse. I told my husband I’m going to have to keep him out our bedroom because he fluff his feathers everywhere. Ugh I love him but his feathers are so bad right now.
Sorry misread that.
Yes I'd definitely recommend keeping him in a room as far away from your bedroom as possible and you'll want probably at least 2 air filters I'd imagine one next to his cage and one in your bedroom.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he'll let you misting him daily for baths if he'll enjoy it can also help a bit with keeping his dustiness down .

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Hooooo boy, I don't think anything makes a difference in cockatiel dust :roflmao: mine is duster than my cockatoo, I swear it. I have videos of him preening and you just see the cloud puff from him every time he ruffles.

I have a couple different air purifiers, but my favorite is This one. It also has an app you can use to change settings and what not. I love it, and the new filters aren't that expensive.
He just shook after this picture and it was everywhere. Do I need one in each room!?! When he done it my throat, eyes and nose burn and I sneezed. I still love him tho.

Attachments

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Sorry misread that.
Yes I'd definitely recommend keeping him in a room as far away from your bedroom as possible and you'll want probably at least 2 air filters I'd imagine one next to his cage and one in your bedroom.
Oh k I only had him in my room because I just got him and was bonding with him lol

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
If he'll let you misting him daily for baths if he'll enjoy it can also help a bit with keeping his dustiness down .
Yeah I misted him yesterday and he was not mad but not happy either lol but I’ll do that.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh k I only had him in my room because I just got him and was bonding with him lol
Totally understandable,the problem with it is especially with dusty species is that you'll be breathing in all that dust into your lungs as you sleep which can lead to serious health issues such a bird keepers Lung or allergies to the bird dust it's self with constant exposure and settling in your lungs as you sleep no matter how clean you may keep his cage and area.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I hate to say it, but that might be an allergy. Unless you're always sensitive to dust maybe?

I haven't had a reaction to mine, and I have both Tteok and Isadora (the cockatoo) in the same room. But I'm also not really dust sensitive, so I don't know if that's part of it.

I have an air filter in their room, and in the other end of the house (my son's room) to kind of catch it all over, and I'm looking at adding a third just to keep on top of it. Visually, I don't feel like it's made a difference, in that everything is still always always always covered in a layer of dander, but I'd rather be hyper vigilant just because I like my lungs :roflmao:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Totally understandable,the problem with it is especially with dusty species is that you'll be breathing in all that dust into your lungs as you sleep which can lead to serious health issues such a bird keepers Lung or allergies to the bird dust it's self with constant exposure and settling in your lungs as you sleep no matter how clean you may keep his cage and area.
I moved him out of my room because I enjoy sleeping past dawn. There's also that to consider :rofl:

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
I hate to say it, but that might be an allergy. Unless you're always sensitive to dust maybe?

I haven't had a reaction to mine, and I have both Tteok and Isadora (the cockatoo) in the same room. But I'm also not really dust sensitive, so I don't know if that's part of it.

I have an air filter in their room, and in the other end of the house (my son's room) to kind of catch it all over, and I'm looking at adding a third just to keep on top of it. Visually, I don't feel like it's made a difference, in that everything is still always always always covered in a layer of dander, but I'd rather be hyper vigilant just because I like my lungs :roflmao:
It might be. Ugh but I can’t get rid of him tho.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Yeah I never thought about it that way tho. Maybe it’s not to late I don’t think there much in my room well he was flying around and in my bathroom. I thought it was kind of cute

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It might be. Ugh but I can’t get rid of him tho.
Have you tried benadryl or anything? Definitely get the filter, it'll at least help some I'm sure

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I moved him out of my room because I enjoy sleeping past dawn. There's also that to consider :rofl:
Ha that's absolutely valid don't blame you at all.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
He’s not in my room. He has the den. I just had him in there when I was watching tv lol

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Have you tried benadryl or anything? Definitely get the filter, it'll at least help some I'm sure
I haven’t it wasn’t too bad. It was just that one time because I sneezed and it scared him and he dusted and feathered all over me.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Tteok is on me wherever I am lol. TV room, bird room, bathroom... He's like a noisy shadow :roflmao:

Here are pics - this is basically what you'll be dealing with for the next number of years. It's just this, all the time.

Attachments

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I haven’t it wasn’t too bad. It was just that one time because I sneezed and it scared him and he dusted and feathered all over me.
It's the throat burning that concerns me. I know @Shezbug has said how badly her cockatoo bothers her - Shez does he make your throat burn too?

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
My conure is molting right niw
Tteok is on me wherever I am lol. TV room, bird room, bathroom... He's like a noisy shadow :roflmao:

Here are pics - this is basically what you'll be dealing with for the next number of years. It's just this, all the time.
Wow! My conure is molting and all he is demanding is in his own words daily 'quack quacks'. I got nothing going on like that. Lol

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally

Yeah that was all over my shirt earlier. Are there people that sensitive to the dust that still have them as pets. I love him

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
It's the throat burning that concerns me. I know @Shezbug has said how badly her cockatoo bothers her - Shez does he make your throat burn too?
It doesn’t hurt anymore and it didn’t do it yesterday but he was trying to fly and layed on my face and that’s when it seem to have my throat burning some.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
My conure is molting right niw
Wow! My conure is molting and all he is demanding is in his own words daily 'quack quacks'. I got nothing going on like that. Lol
Yeah he's gross, and he's not even in a molt :roflmao: his favorite spot to preen is on my knee, so at least twice a day my leg looks like this. I'd probably get bird keepers lung just from his dusty butt alone, if I didn't have air filters running all day every day.