• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air purifier

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Can anyone recommend a good air purifier that won’t break the bank our house is a small house but the rooms all have doors in them. Are there any that plug in the outlets like night lights.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pretty much anything HEPA with no ionizer is good. I have used Honeywell in the past

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pretty much anything HEPA with no ionizer is good. I have used Honeywell in the past
Ha omg I just realized the auto correct changed mine from Honeywell to Maxwell.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He just shock his feathers and a whole bunch went up my nose and throat…
Oh my! That's about what @Xoetix has been saying that her Tiel is just blowing feathers and dust into every possible spot.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Oh my! That's about what @Xoetix has been saying that her Tiel is just blowing feathers and dust into every possible spot.
Why do they blow feathers like that tho!?! Will it stop once he gets settle in!?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's probably going through a molt right now,lots of fids are at the moment since spring is here. Eventually it will calm down and only be an occasional feather here and there until the next molting season.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
He's probably going through a molt right now,lots of fids are at the moment since spring is here. Eventually it will calm down and only be an occasional feather here and there until the next molting season.
He’s always prurning herself. I just got home Saturday, so is he pulling them out maybe

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol. May as well get used to it... parrots are messy!

Pretty sure the most common thing my vac picks up are feathers and feather sheath bits. Floofies are all over the place a few hours after I vac usually.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Lol. May as well get used to it... parrots are messy!

Pretty sure the most common thing my vac picks up are feathers and feather sheath bits. Floofies are all over the place a few hours after I vac usually.
It’s no bother but I’m pretty sure when it went down my throat and up my nose I sneezed and my throat got to hurting lol. I don’t think I’m allergic maybe just not used to it. Lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It’s no bother but I’m pretty sure when it went down my throat and up my nose I sneezed and my throat got to hurting lol. I don’t think I’m allergic maybe just not used to it. Lol
The small amount of dust that accumulates from my macaw in areas I have neglected to wipe for a bit does not bother me in the slightest, but, the dust falling off my cocky outdoors while he is above me burns my nostrils and causes me some slight breathing distress.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
The small amount of dust that accumulates from my macaw in areas I have neglected to wipe for a bit does not bother me in the slightest, but, the dust falling off my cocky outdoors while he is above me burns my nostrils and causes me some slight breathing distress.
Is there anything you can do about that are you just get use to it!?!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is there anything you can do about that are you just get use to it!?!
No I do not get used to it, the more I breathe the worse I get so I try to sweep his floor clean daily and stay out of the dust.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cockatiels naturally are dusty as it is part of how they keep their feathers healthy. So no matter if they are molting or not, there will be dust.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
No I do not get used to it, the more I breathe the worse I get so I try to sweep his floor clean daily and stay out of the dust.
So I just got him Saturday so I need to change his poop try daily!?! He want get out my sight so I bring him in my bedroom during the day but I think I’m about to stop that and get an air purifier in all the rooms. I love him tho

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Cockatiels naturally are dusty as it is part of how they keep their feathers healthy. So no matter if they are molting or not, there will be dust.
Is is there a way to keep the dust down. Change his poop try daily right and sweep right!?! I love him tho.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I just got him Saturday so I need to change his poop try daily!?! He want get out my sight so I bring him in my bedroom during the day but I think I’m about to stop that and get an air purifier in all the rooms. I love him tho
You'll definitely want to change the tray daily for hygiene in general and to remove as much of the dust and particles from even toys that have been chewed up and their poop it's self will have air born particles once it dries. I always clean the tray right before bed so that way it's already fresh for morning.
I'd also highly recommend vacuuming or sweeping around the cage daily,I do mine twice a day to make sure I get everything I possibly can.

While your cleaning first gently misting with a water bottle is a good way to help keep the dust from stirring up as you start moving things around and cleaning.

Allycat21!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
You'll definitely want to change the tray daily for hygiene in general and to remove as much of the dust and particles from even toys that have been chewed up and their poop it's self will have air born particles once it dries. I always clean the tray right before bed so that way it's already fresh for morning.
I'd also highly recommend vacuuming or sweeping around the cage daily,I do mine twice a day to make sure I get everything I possibly can.

While your cleaning first gently misting with a water bottle is a good way to help keep the dust from stirring up as you start moving things around and cleaning.
We have hardwood floors all in our house. Idk about sweeping seems to make it worse. I told my husband I’m going to have to keep him out our bedroom because he fluff his feathers everywhere. Ugh I love him but his feathers are so bad right now.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hooooo boy, I don't think anything makes a difference in cockatiel dust :roflmao: mine is duster than my cockatoo, I swear it. I have videos of him preening and you just see the cloud puff from him every time he ruffles.

I have a couple different air purifiers, but my favorite is This one. It also has an app you can use to change settings and what not. I love it, and the new filters aren't that expensive.