• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air Purifier vs. Candles

ScaryBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I was recently told by a cockatiel breeder that I cannot burn candles in my home, as it’s highly toxic to birds. This put a huge damper on my future bird plans because while I don’t ever light candles, my mother does. I’m hoping to move out in the near future (I’m 21 so lord please let it happen soon), but until then, I was wondering if a constant fan running and a good quality air purifier, along with my bedroom door being closed off from the rest of the house 99% of the time, would do the trick. I have other exotic animals, so I already have a constantly oscillating fan in my bedroom.

I don’t have any bird yet, and I guess if people on here say my plan is bad, I won’t be getting one.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I love candles but all mine (many brand new ones) have now been given away or binned.
Now that I no longer use things with high scent I really am surprised at how badly I can notice so many irritants in other people’s homes. I really hate to think of the damage that many birds have to live with because people won’t give up hazardous items.
Beg your mum to pack them away for you till you move out or if she won’t do that maybe she will only use them in her room with the door closed and much distance between your bird and her room along with a purifier (this would honestly still have me stressed about my birds health though)

There are so many every day things that many people don’t want to live without (or learn to adjust with the safe option in many cases) so you do want to make sure everyone you live with is as invested in your birds health, safety and comfort as you are.

ScaryBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I love candles but all mine (many brand new ones) have now been given away or binned.
Now that I no longer use things with high scent I really am surprised at how badly I can notice so many irritants in other people’s homes. I really hate to think of the damage that many birds have to live with because people won’t give up hazardous items.
Beg your mum to pack them away for you till you move out or if she won’t do that maybe she will only use them in her room with the door closed and much distance between your bird and her room along with a purifier (this would honestly still have me stressed about my birds health though)

There are so many every day things that many people don’t want to live without (or learn to adjust with the safe option in many cases) so you do want to make sure everyone you live with is as invested in your birds health, safety and comfort as you are.
Well she would be lighting candles across the house, and my bird would be in my bedroom with the door closed.

She really doesn’t light candles often anyway, but I think she should stop completely. She also has one of those essential oil humidifier things, but they only use that whenever people are coming over. I will have a discussion about candles with her, though, and bring up that it’s also not good for her dogs. Candles typically make my allergies flare up as well. In all honesty, we will probably learn a few years down the line that the effects of repetitive candle usage is similar to those of second hand smoking.

Since I’m a gardener, I tend to lean towards dried herbs and flowers for a nice fragrance to lighten up my room. My guinea pigs also enjoy eating said herbs and flowers!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yep the oil diffuser is in the same category as candles unfortunately. How long till you move? Maybe wait till you live in your own place to save stress?

ScaryBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Yep the oil diffuser is in the same category as candles unfortunately. How long till you move? Maybe wait till you live in your own place to save stress?
I thought it would be. I hate that thing too. When I’m able to move out depends on a few things - whether I get a certain job, whether an affordable apartment is available, and whether or not they welcome pets.
The short answer is: it might work.

The better question is: is it worth the potential risk?
That’s what I was thinking and why I decided to ask. The selfish human part of me wants to get a bird no matter what, but morally I’m not sure if I should at this point.

ScaryBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Hey all! I just wanted to update everyone on what ended up happening. I discussed all the air toxicity issues with my mother, and we came to an agreement that she would minimize any use of toxic cleaning and fragrance chemicals. I also told her to never come around my bedroom with anything of the sort. Like I stated earlier, my bedroom door is closed pretty much always. I also found a breeder of whiteface cockatiels that I discussed getting babies from.

Also, I’d like to ask another question. Since air quality is such a major issue with birds, why don’t I see more bird owners investing in air quality monitors? They can monitor carbon monoxide/dioxide, smoke, and VOCs. I’ll probably invest in one before getting a bird.

If anyone here uses air quality monitors, which would you recommend?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Almost all of we bird owners have high output air purifiers and have not used any harmful VOC emitting products for years.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Usually most cheaper air quality monitors will alert before it gets to toxic levels - for humans. By the time they go off, the bird is already affected. More expensive models may be more sensitive, however you'd have to know the toxic level for birds, and I'm not sure that you'll find that data.

Many of us do have air purifiers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I discussed all the air toxicity issues with my mother, and we came to an agreement that she would minimize any use of toxic cleaning and fragrance chemicals.
I would hold off bringing a bird home until your mother agrees to remove completely the use of these products.
Not worth the risk IMO, especially as you don´t currently have the bird.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought it would be. I hate that thing too. When I’m able to move out depends on a few things - whether I get a certain job, whether an affordable apartment is available, and whether or not they welcome pets.
It sounds like things are pretty uncertain when it comes to moving out. If I were in your position, I'd hold off getting a bird until you have moved. That way, you don't have to expose a bird to candles, fragrance and cleaning products at all.

ScaryBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Usually most cheaper air quality monitors will alert before it gets to toxic levels - for humans. By the time they go off, the bird is already affected. More expensive models may be more sensitive, however you'd have to know the toxic level for birds, and I'm not sure that you'll find that data.

Many of us do have air purifiers.
That’s why air quality monitors exist that directly read the levels of VOCs, carbon monoxide, dioxide, etc. I’m pretty sure it would be best to try and match the levels you could test outside your house. That being said, not everyone lives in the same area. Areas like central and south California, have extremely high air pollution. Birds somehow seem to survive there though and many people in LA have birds.

Also, some easy research will show that air purifiers aren’t extremely helpful at filtering gases, VOCs, and carbon monoxide. They are basically just fans with filters. If you get one with carbon and a UV sterilizer, it’ll filter bacteria and *maybe VOCs. That’s the problem with air purifiers - no one seems to know what they’re actually filtering out. Their efficiency is also questionable.

Because of all that, I think I’d feel safer getting my bird the air quality monitor as well.