• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air Purifier Saga JUMPING THRU HOOPS EXTREME!!!!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Last November I a second germ guardian air purifier for my apartment 16797540450305410767995394591482.jpg
Saved the receipt 1679754101751690241086889318717.jpg
I bought it because of 3 yr warranty. I registered for the warranty the same day.
It was set up in the hallway of my apt. It ran great until Monday,when I unplugged it to clean the pre filter with vacuum brush per their instructions. I also vacuumed out the back to remove any dust and debris. When to plug it back in, DEAD, no lights, no air movement, just dead. WT-.
HMMMM jumped online to their chat on their website. That was not helpful at all. There are two triggers that must pushed to get the contacts to reset it, one is at the bottom the other is at the top, plus plug it in and turn it on all at the same time. Jeepers I need 4 hands to do all that at the same time, my neighbor came down we tried it. NOPE IT'S DEADER THE DOOR NAIL¡¡¡
Ok I call their customer care line. The first person I talk to extremely hard to hear and I ask politely for them to speak up or turn up their volume on their microphone. They did,but the next words from their mouth baffled me to no end. "Please send a copy of your 'transgression'. What¿¿ Ok I repeated what they said back to them. Yes transgression. WT-part 2. I ended the call. Called back. It was transaction. I quickly took a picture of the sales receipt emailed to them while on the phone. The manufacturer code I read it to them twice on the phone. Name and address I spelled out my name and spelled any difficult words in my address. We ended the call. 30 minutes later I get another email asking for manufacturer code, name, address. Jumping jelly beans, I have a slight speech impediment but it's not that bad. I took pictures of model# ,manufacturer code, wrote the name and address in English spell checked and replied.
It will 6-8 weeks to verify replacement. WOW¡¡¡¡ You are kidding right??¿¿
A day later I call back to make sure they have all the information. I am told now that it will be 8 to 10 weeks for verification. Nope that is unacceptable, I need this air purifier like yesterday. This apt I have mold issues, mostly in bathroom and that hallway. Is there another way to get here quicker. Yes I will talk to higher management try for you receive replacement. And I asked how often does that work?
25% they will do it 75% they will not. Oh goody. Will send you a letter WT-. 3hrs later I get a email with very specific instructions you must video; show model # manufacturer code, then video cutting the cord at base of unit show cut cord with with model# and manufacturer code plus pictures of cut cord with model# manufacturer code. Holy hockey sticks,ok.Here's the video I sent them
Unacceptable WT- part 3 no explanation just unacceptable. I tried to call them yesterday but they were already closed for weekend. I took 3 more pictures
IMG_20230324_160336_405.jpg

IMG_20230324_160347_236.jpg IMG_20230324_160434_298.jpg
Late last night, another email, accepted but with conditions. It will take 14 -20 business days for you to receive replacement. There's no warranty with replacement either. WT- part 4
Long story short I bought another air purifier yesterday but NOT THAT BRAND. I would not recommend that brand to my worst enemy. 16797623987638311620006701587880.jpg

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
That is completly unexceptionable. I can't fix it but I can offer my experience with air filters that might help. I use Winix 5500-2 units for my bird room. I've had Winix filters for 10 years prior to having to replace one (dropped it during a move). They are HEPA, come with a washable carbon filter (that lasts a year). Plus you can get the HEPA and carbon replacement for like $30 on eBay. They only run about $130 and filter a large area. Most importantly you can turn off the 'plasma wave' feature which generations ozone. One word of caution some of the new units sold in stores you cannot turn off plasmwave (or I can't figure it out). Winix 5500-2 Air Cleaner with Plasma Wave Technology | eBay $112 free shipping, 4 day delivery. Sorry you had to go through so much ummm stuff with your other units. Hope this helps.

Jay

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I were you I would contact the Better Business Bureau regarding your dealings with this company. I would also be sure to write up a negative review and post that on Target if they are still selling that model. The way they handled this is totally unacceptable. I have a feeling that this company's customer service is not in the US and so sometimes there are difficulties with communication and comprehension due to language issues.
If you are a Costco member maybe you can purchase an air purifier there because if it goes bad you can just return it. Costco will accept returns for some items months and years after purchase.

I use Rabbit air purifiers but they are going to cost a lot more than the Germ Guardian.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
@iamwhoiam Which rabbit filter model do you use? I was looking into them as an upgrade. Just reread the orginal post. Cutting wires? What in the world? What if a child took that cord and then plugged it in. Crazy!!!

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
All I know is that it's worst customer care service ever. I have second germ guardian that I bought better then a year ago and runs works like charm. The filters are easy to get from Target and has been beside Bebe's cage since day one. I am not throwing out this until the new one is in my possession.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
It sounds like the worst customer service experience I've heard, and I used to work in tech support fixing lower tiered customer services messes sometimes! Maybe they assume that people will just give up? Did you try to talk to a manager or supervisor? Calling back to speak with another agent?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Bot whoever that is and like 5 different people I have either had emails from or spoke too.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That little white one is what I have in my son's room, it's amazing. Plus the filters aren't too expensive to replace.

I'm sorry you had that experience! That's some insane crap.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The cord cutting thing is to "prove" it's no longer in working condition. A lot of companies do that these days.

They however don't give the runaround like that!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
So far levoit is working super well. I love the app for it. Clear and concise easy too use. @Xoetix do you have the app for it???
As far as germ guardian it was move into my bedroom which is closer to the mold.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam Which rabbit filter model do you use? I was looking into them as an upgrade. Just reread the orginal post. Cutting wires? What in the world? What if a child took that cord and then plugged it in. Crazy!!!
I have this one BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet Air Purifier

I paid $100 less. As an original Rabbit owner the company sent me a $100 off coupon. This was a few years ago. They do have sales from time to time and the discount is generally $30.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
So far levoit is working super well. I love the app for it. Clear and concise easy too use. @Xoetix do you have the app for it???
As far as germ guardian it was move into my bedroom which is closer to the mold.
We have three of the little Levoit air purifiers - one in the master BR, and one in each of our offices where the birds live, but they aren't the "true-HEPA" ones, just the lower models. For those who have true-HEPA purifiers - is it worth the extra money?

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Honesty I don't know. I've used HEPA-like filters in the past and they seem to work fine if they fit the room size. The difference between the two is negligible from my allergy standpoint.

Jay