• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air fryers and birds?

KatieKess

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Katie
Is it safe to use an air fryer in my home? My cockatiel Marvin, is located upstairs (away from the kitchen) but I am still concerned and would never do anything that could harm him. We got an air fryer for Christmas, and we were super excited to try it out.... until I did some research and realized it could pose a risk to my bird. Whenever we cook, (we do not use any nonstick pans- we only do this to be safe) we close the door to the room he is in and sometimes we even close the vent. The air fryer we got is the nuwave, and I’ll attach a picture. I am not sure if it would be a safe idea to use this ? If we did of course we would close the door to the room is in, close the vents , maybe even open up a widow. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It depends on what your air fryer is made from. Many of us have the ninja air fryer as that particular fryer is safe to use around birds. Most other air fryers have PTFE and or PFOA which are not safe. You’ll need to check the specific information for your fryer brand or add a link for the exact fryer you have.

KatieKess

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Katie
It depends on what your air fryer is made from. Many of us have the ninja air fryer as that particular fryer is safe to use around birds. Most other air fryers have PTFE and or PFOA which are not safe. You’ll need to check the specific information for your fryer brand or add a link for the exact fryer you have.
NuWaveNow
I added a link above:

it says it contains PFOA free non stick coating, I am not sure what this means?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d contact the company and ask if it’s also PTFE free. It might say it in the link you added but I’m not sure as I only quickly scanned over the info... I’m running late on breakfast and I’m hearing about it!
@Mizzely might know more about your fryer.