• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air Conditioner or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glowbird

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Our bird room is on the second story. In the past we have kept the air conditioner on most of the summer, but this year we built on a large screened porch. We give the birds constant access to this porch (which they love) and keep the windows open (the room has a wall of windows on the south and another on the north opening to the screened porch). Question, at what point should we close off the porch and turn on the air conditioner? I know the birds like it pretty warm, but what is too warm? Temperatures will approach 100 today. The bird room has separate heat and air, so I set it at what's comfortable for them, not me.

Thanks for any advice.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's uncomfortable for you, then it's most likely uncomfortable for them too. I put the A/C on with my indoor temps get over 80 F. Sometimes, my RFM will pant, which is not a good sign at all--birds do not have very efficient self-cooling mechanisms. Right now, it's 82.5 in here with the A/C on :( It's supposed to be 100 F outdoors here today too...

Glowbird

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks for the info. Now I have to persuade the guys to come in from the porch...

Setsimba

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vik
From my understanding the optimum temperature for them to be in is 75 degrees, that being said they can comfortably manage up to 10 degrees plus or minus. Heat is worse for birds then cold I know I read somewhere on here a heating system at a sanctuary failed and the temps dropped into the 50's but the birds were still ok as they hoarded together. That bring said you can also mist them to help them keep cool but carefully as too much and cold breezes can make them sick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JackDele

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
I think it's important to note the climate your bird is built. I've noticed that birds from a more hot arid climate prefer and can handle warmer temperatures than those from a more temperate rainforest climate. This is important as well as the climate/temperatures your bird is used too :)

Last edited:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
It has been really hot here too. My little air conditioners have struggled to keep up.
If I were you, I'd let your birds out on the porch first thing in the morning, and then bring them in by the time it approaches 85, and have the AC running so it maintains that temperature. It is the wild and sudden fluctuations that are most problematic. Showers and misting help cool birds down too.

Status
Not open for further replies.