• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AGY treatment

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
So my male budgie became sick about four months ago he always had poop stuck to his vent so I took him to vet and the doctor said he has infection and gave him gentamicin and another antibiotic which I don't remember it's name after some time using the medicine my became healthy again and was fine until recently. About a week or two ago I saw him throwing up whole seeds at morning and after that whole seeds started to appear in his poop and now he is very inactive. Because of the lockdowns I can't find any avian vet to visit so I'm trying to find a cure myself i tried giving him the same antibiotic he was taking before but I saw no result so I concluded It's a fungi type infection so I have stopped giving it to him for now. After doing some researches on the internet i think he has AGY (Avian Gastric Yeast) I tried to find Amphotericin b but every pharmacy has the injectable type so I don't know what to do now for one of the pharmacist said I should give him Nystatin I can find that easily but I'm not sure about that.
Does anyone know what should I do? I have become very desperate but I don't know what I should do

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Because of the lockdowns I can't find any avian vet to visit
Is there an avian vet that will do consultations over the phone, either directly with you or another vet? Special circumstances do warrant this.
After doing some researches on the internet i think he has AGY
Please don't self diagnose. You may be right, or you may miss something important. The big difference between the net and a vet is a vet will ask questions and is qualified to diagnose.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Timi,

Because of the lockdowns I can't find any avian vet to visit
Call and double check. I know that quite a few countries, even in the strictest lockdowns in the world, allowed for a vet visit (if it was urgent, ie not for nail clipping or non essential visits).

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think you could add some apple cider vinegar to his drinking water, it may help while you get sorted but this needs looking at. Iirc the dose is 2tsp ACV to 1 quart water.
@Lady Jane ?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Avian Gastric yeast will need to be confirmed before you do treatment. It's not one that you "cover your bases with" and treat for. Amp B is toxic and can make your bird much worse before better. You could send in fecal samples to avian biotech.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
Thanks everyone for your answers!
Ok so for now I won't give him any medicines and try looking for an avian vet but they are pretty rare here so it will take some time.
I have some raw almonds and I want to make almond butter for him is this ok?

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
I think you could add some apple cider vinegar to his drinking water, it may help while you get sorted but this needs looking at. Iirc the dose is 2tsp ACV to 1 quart water.
I have add two mlg of it in every 50mlg of water but I have seen few results if any.
Is it ok if I add cinnamon to it? I red somewhere that it has antifungal properties.
What about red chili pepper?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
No. Just ACV. In metric it's 10ml per litre. At the ratio you're using you'll just complicate things and probably make your bird worse.
It's not going to cure anything, just help with the symptoms for a short while. You still need to sort an avian vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Amphotericin B is the only advised medication for AGY And Amph B is extremely hepatoxic and you sure as heck don't want to do any home based diagnoses for AGY. It is quite involved and complex. None of the other fungicides will help at all with AGY.

If you will give us your location we can help you locate a veterinarian. Even a regular vet can do consultations with avian vets.

Raw almonds can and many time do have fungus on them.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
If you will give us your location we can help you locate a veterinarian. Even a regular vet can do consultations with avian vets.
Thanks but I live in Iran so I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone who can help with that. But if a regular vet is ok it would much easier to find one.
Raw almonds can and many time do have fungus on them.
I wanted to give him something easy to digest and almond butter is the most accessible thing I can think. Is there anything else I can give except millet?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have had 2 budgies come down with AGY over the years. With the first one I was pretty well uneducated on the disease process so with all the treatments available he still died. He was given every medication the avian vet had up his sleeve including Ampho B for 30 days. Then another male budgie was exhibiting some of the early symptoms and the vet put him on Ampho also for 2 weeks and it was effective thank goodness. In the US we need a prescription for these medications.

There are a few things you can do to try and slow the growth of yeast if that is what it is. Your bird could also have a crop infection. The ACV or apple cider vinegar will slow the growth of yeast or fungi down from the acidity of the vinegar. It needs to be unfiltered ACV like this one Amazon.com : Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar With the Mother– USDA Certified Organic – Raw, Unfiltered All Natural Ingredients, 16 Ounce : Grocery & Gourmet Food Hope you can find some. I have been to Iran and I know things like that can be hard to find. The other thing you can do is to remove any food item from your birds diet that has sweetners such as sugar or honey as yeast growth in enhanced by sweets. @Ripshod gave you the correct ration of ACV to water. Put this mix into the drinking cup after mixed. The quart may last you for one week or so (refrigerate after mixing). As a prophylaxis I repeat this process for one week every month afterwards. Since you are not finding a vet you will not know if the yeast is gone but important to remember the ACV is not a cure. You somehow should get the Ampho B prescription. Two weeks is what is usually prescribed but since my first budgie did not respond to Ampho he was maintained on it for the full. 30 days. AGY is contagious to other birds so keep him away from other birds if you have any. Bless you and wishing you all the best.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One more thing, after the treatments for 2 weeks the vet did another gram stain to make sure the yeast was gone. So technically you need two vet visits.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
Oh! Didn't expect that. I will try to contact him. Thank you I really appreciate your help.
I have had 2 budgies come down with AGY over the years. With the first one I was pretty well uneducated on the disease process so with all the treatments available he still died. He was given every medication the avian vet had up his sleeve including Ampho B for 30 days. Then another male budgie was exhibiting some of the early symptoms and the vet put him on Ampho also for 2 weeks and it was effective thank goodness. In the US we need a prescription for these medications.
I'm Sorry to hear that it's pretty depressing to see them sick and lethargic.
There are a few things you can do to try and slow the growth of yeast if that is what it is.
I'm not sure about but I'm guessing that it is some kind of fungus because antibiotics didn't have any noticeable effect.
Your bird could also have a crop infection. The ACV or apple cider vinegar will slow the growth of yeast or fungi down from the acidity of the vinegar. It needs to be unfiltered ACV like this one Amazon.com : Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar With the Mother– USDA Certified Organic – Raw, Unfiltered All Natural Ingredients, 16 Ounce : Grocery & Gourmet Food Hope you can find some. I have been to Iran and I know things like that can be hard to find. The other thing you can do is to remove any food item from your birds diet that has sweetners such as sugar or honey as yeast growth in enhanced by sweets. @Ripshod gave you the correct ration of ACV to water. Put this mix into the drinking cup after mixed. The quart may last you for one week or so (refrigerate after mixing). As a prophylaxis I repeat this process for one week every month afterwards. Since you are not finding a vet you will not know if the yeast is gone but important to remember the ACV is not a cure. You somehow should get the Ampho B prescription. Two weeks is what is usually prescribed but since my first budgie did not respond to Ampho he was maintained on it for the full. 30 days. AGY is contagious to other birds so keep him away from other birds if you have any. Bless you and wishing you all the best.
Ok so I will half the dosage. Fortunately finding home made ACV is pretty easy around here and the one I got is cloudy so I'm guessing it's not filtered.
I Don't know why but I just noticed his poop has improved a little bit and there is less undigessted seed in it (most of them none). May be temporary so I'll try to find a vet.
One more thing, after the treatments for 2 weeks the vet did another gram stain to make sure the yeast was gone. So technically you need two vet visits.
Thanks you very much for your advises. I will post the results when I find a vet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We appreciate updates. Yeast is a fungus.

The bird with yeast like the first one i had go into what is called the wasting stage where there is significant weight loss despite eating. The nutrients they eat are not absorbed so the bird dies from malnutrition more than anything else. It is a horrible disease budgies seem to be prone to. Oh by the way dont feed your bird any fresh corn. I am pretty sure it plays a role in AGY.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
So I found a vet which has a avian doctor too and made an appointment for today.
I just weighed him and he is 45 grams and I think he is a little over weighted which I don't know how it's possible when there is undigested food in his poop. Could it be that his illness is not infection and something else entirely? Like some liver problem or something?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
So I found a vet which has a avian doctor too and made an appointment for today.
I just weighed him and he is 45 grams and I think he is a little over weighted which I don't know how it's possible when there is undigested food in his poop. Could it be that his illness is not infection and something else entirely? Like some liver problem or something?
I'm so glad you've found a vet. We can't diagnose here so please don't be offended when I say only the vet can answer your question.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
I'm so glad you've found a vet. We can't diagnose here so please don't be offended when I say only the vet can answer your question.
Thanks I understand.
Ok so I just got back from the vet and guess what? It really was a type of fungus after all, he said that after examining the droppings under a microscope. when I asked if it could be AGY he said it's highly unlikely and it's probably due to the antibiotics he has taken. ُHis prescription is 12 drop of nystatin and also 16 drop of 125.amoxicillin in every 40 mlg of water for a week.
I also bought a pack of mixed from there which. This is unrelated to this topic but I have read every where that that budgies' most favorite food is millet right? But both of my budgies will go crazy over wheat. have you experienced this?

Last edited: