• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AGY treatment

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
Pellets, rice, banana, applesauce, egg whites (cooked), sweet potatoes (cooked), oatmeal, white bread.
Thanks
Ok so I'll give him a little of egg white and also a little bit of egg yolk most of the other options seem to be high in carbohydrates which I don't think is good for him.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
So aparntly giving him egg yolk was a good idea he gets a lot more active about an hour after eating a little bit of egg yolk.
But just when I thought he is getting better I saw him throwing up some kind clear liquid and I don't if it's a good sign or bad sign.
I'm planning to take him to another vet again tonight.
Any ideas on what is happening? Or any suggestion on what should I ask at the vet?

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
Oh...
I came back from vet just now and he said there isn't any bacteria or fungus in my budgie's droppings and he said it might be PDD.
The test is rather expensive and there isn't any treatment so we didn't test him.
I'm really at a loss here can someone give me some tips?
I think egg yolk give him some energy but is it ok to feed him with it regularly?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@timi Like I said before, egg whites ( nearly pure protein) are very good for a bird occasionally. Egg yolks are nor all that good for them. Yolks are full of saturated fats, one of the major causes of heart problems and atherosclerosis in birds.

PDD is a fatal disease that can be controlled - to an extent. You don't know if your bird has PDD or not and will not know without extensive testing. Be aware that many vets throw PDD out to a client as the possible diagnosis because they are at a loss. It does little to no harm to treat a bird as if he has PDD, since mostly treatment is supportive. Celebrex or Onsior are the chosen anti-inflammatories used in the treatment Of PDD.

Please read the following article (it is recent since written in 2020) attempt to understand and them come back if you have additional questions or need explanation.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
Thanks and First of all I have a mortar and I want to give him crushed hulled millet is that allright?
@timi
PDD is a fatal disease that can be controlled - to an extent. You don't know if your bird has PDD or not and will not know without extensive testing. Be aware that many vets throw PDD out to a client as the possible diagnosis because they are at a loss.
Yes the doctor said too that if Sabze (my budgie) doesn't have PDD than he doesn't have any idea what it might be. I have made an appointment with another avian vet.
Currently there is two of his symptoms that I'm suspicious of: First is that his droppings are big at night but there isn't seed in them and second is that he seems to digest better when he is active.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Those are confusing symptoms. Undigested seed can be caused by many things including a clostridium infection, another bacterial infection, too much antibiotics or fungicides that kill all of the natural digestive flora in their system, a fungal infection, AGY and PDD. So it looks like they will have to test further to find out.

Testing for AGY requires several stool samples over a period of tim. This is because the AGY organism does not shed all of the time.

Hope the new vet figures it out.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No clostridium is not zoonotic.