• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive

SKC4

Strolling the yard
Hello, I have one couple of lovebird that currently are feeding their second clutch of chicks , they are 5 weeks already all good both parents providing food for them, however, I noticed yesterday the female being aggressive to the male. I thought if she keeps acting like that will need to put in a separator is possible to divide the cage in two. Today when I’m at work she bite his feet and blood all around… Do anyone knows why? They never did that with the first clutch. I already separate them… any recommendation?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Zara
Hope your males ok

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Definitely separate the parents. But before deciding who gets kicked out, check who's raising the chicks. If the male is the one feeding the chicks, then the hen needs to be removed.
Also, if the hen is attacking the chicks then she needs to be removed and you need to monitor to be sure the male takes over, if he doesn't, then you'll need to hand rear.

Did you allow for a rest between clutches? When did the prev clutch fledge?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Forgot to say, check the chicks for signs of plucking. An attack on the chicks isn't always bloody. They can pluck feathers from the backs or heads of chicks, painful, defo something to watch out for, especially with a hen that seems to be stressed. So watch for any bald spots.

SKC4

Strolling the yard
Definitely separate the parents. But before deciding who gets kicked out, check who's raising the chicks. If the male is the one feeding the chicks, then the hen needs to be removed.
Also, if the hen is attacking the chicks then she needs to be removed and you need to monitor to be sure the male takes over, if he doesn't, then you'll need to hand rear.

Did you allow for a rest between clutches? When did the prev clutch fledge?
Hi Zara, thanks for your quick answer. The male is feeding the chicks, the hen was attacking him not the chicks. First fledge on April. I removed the nesting box, however on September they were doing their thing and the hen looking any bowl to be in so I installed again. After this I think I should not let her breed again.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If the male is feeding and brooding, remove the hen.
Watch closely especially the first day and if he's not keeping them warm and feeding, pull for hand feeding.
If you know how, you could pull the chicks now and finish rearing them yourself.

SKC4

Strolling the yard
If the male is feeding and brooding, remove the hen.
Watch closely especially the first day and if he's not keeping them warm and feeding, pull for hand feeding.
If you know how, you could pull the chicks now and finish rearing them yourself.
So far he is doing the job.. I would keep a close eye… if I need I will hand feed them. Thanks again!!!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Have you got any pictures how’s the female doing separate?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@SKC4 I just noticed you tried to tag me and Matthew in the thread tags above. They won´t alert members, you need to include tags in the actual post using the @ symbol followed by username like Emma did. Just letting you know for future threads :) (And you don´t need to tag me in anything on Lovebird Lane or the Nursery forum as I have alerts on for those sections of the site ;) )

SKC4

Strolling the yard
@SKC4 I just noticed you tried to tag me and Matthew in the thread tags above. They won´t alert members, you need to include tags in the actual post using the @ symbol followed by username like Emma did. Just letting you know for future threads :) (And you don´t need to tag me in anything on Lovebird Lane or the Nursery forum as I have alerts on for those sections of the site ;) )
Thanks for the clarification

SKC4

Strolling the yard
Hi, since I separate the aggressive female and left the male with the chicks all worked fine. Is a big cage that can be split in half so the female was still able to see them. Even touch the babies beaks. I daily take the chicks away to a room with a small gym and the white face so they can enjoy freedom. However when I came back I noticed the male injure between legs and belly and blood everywhere I can’t believe how the female got him. So after nursing the male and cleaning the blood. I removed the female to a cage in a room alone. I mentioned before I will not allow them to breed again, but now I think I can never let them be together…. She is aggressive even with us. She used to be sweet. I am open to hear ideas of what to do with the pair.

The chicks are fine!!!

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but now I think I can never let them be together….
I think given the circumstances, it´s not as simple as that.

Your hen just went through all the motions, mating, laying, brooding, feeding, tending to chicks, to then be banished, but her mate is still over there allowed to see the chicks, she´ll have been confused and likely very stressed, leading to displaced aggression (biting the nearest thing/person).

In my opinion, it is best to really let the dust settle, allow those two parents to get back to their usual routine (you can leave them caged separately for a while for the safety of your male), and once things are back to normal, you can allow those birds some flight time together in the same room, under observation. See how things go, and slowly, they may be able to be housed together.
If you do get them back together, eventually eggs will come, be sure to switch for dummys promptly, and then try to give them space as to not rock the boat too much.

Your chicks are absolutely gorgeous by the way :)

SKC4

Strolling the yard
I think given the circumstances, it´s not as simple as that.

Your hen just went through all the motions, mating, laying, brooding, feeding, tending to chicks, to then be banished, but her mate is still over there allowed to see the chicks, she´ll have been confused and likely very stressed, leading to displaced aggression (biting the nearest thing/person).

In my opinion, it is best to really let the dust settle, allow those two parents to get back to their usual routine (you can leave them caged separately for a while for the safety of your male), and once things are back to normal, you can allow those birds some flight time together in the same room, under observation. See how things go, and slowly, they may be able to be housed together.
If you do get them back together, eventually eggs will come, be sure to switch for dummys promptly, and then try to give them space as to not rock the boat too much.

Your chicks are absolutely gorgeous by the way :)
Really thank you Zara, I would definitely follow your advice. I will give them time, soon the chicks will be weaned so they can be out of that cage too.

SKC4

Strolling the yard
Hi Zara, I hope you are doing great.

Regarding the separated couple, they are still in that condition and the chicks too full weaned, however, every-time I give the couple time to be together and fly always under my supervision the female always wants to mate so I take action to stop it before it happens.

So is not about the conditions to trigger the breeding because they don’t have it.

Do this happen to you? I don’t know what do to next.

Also I have a son of her with his partner but if the mom is on a cage next to him he totally ignores the partner and just want to find a way in the cage to go where the mom is. He is 1 year old.
@Zara

SKC4

Strolling the yard
@Zara I’m not sure if you read my previous post….
@expressmailtome do you know what to do. As soon as I let the female join the male in few minutes she is already in position to mate… so I stop that and separated them again.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have a photo of your cage when your female lives?