• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive/scared Quaker

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
I’ve had my Quaker for about a month and a half now and I can’t really tell if I formed a bond with him or not. I let him out of his cage and he comes out and plays with his toys on the outside of his cage. He even rides on my sholder when I walk around the house sometimes. He used to be semi-friendly but lately is not so much. He still takes food from my hand but very cautiously like I could grab him and hurt him at any moment. He kinda avoids riding on my shoulder now. Sometimes when I get near he screams and kind growls. He’s been pretty loud lately and it’s sounds like he growls more. I think it’s maybe because I got a new bird and it has to live in the same room I have him in but In different cages of course that are a ways apart. My Quaker doesn’t like either of the birds in the room and actively tries to attack if he’s mad. He once flew over and bit my little budgies foot while he was in his cage so now I don’t let him roam around anymore. This could be part of the problem he used to have free range of the room but now I have to put him in his cage when I leave. He hates it. I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried stick training but he’s too stubborn and won’t step up unless he’s offered eggs or zucchini. But half of the time that doesn’t even work anymore. He’s just won’t step up. So when I put him in his cage I have to gently grab him. I’ve also been giving him medicine for the last 3 days and I think he hates me now. I still have 5 more days of Medicine two times a day too go. He doesn’t like the syringe and I have to grab him with a towel but he still manages to escape the towel sometimes. He won’t open his mouth for the syringe once I have him toweled so I kinda have to force his mouth open because there’s no other way to give him the medicine. I always make sure to give him plenty of treats afterward though. But now because of the medicine he runs away if I get to close and only sometimes excepts food from my hands. He started biting my hands a lot if I get to close. What do I do? Have I lost his trust forever?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Well, the grabbing is the issue most likely. And have you watched any You Tube videos on giving a bird meds? There are a bunch. I would worry that you're going to hurt him if you're forcing his mouth open. What's wrong that he's on medicine? I think after he's off his meds, you can work on trying to rebuild his trust.

@Mizzely ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You haven't lost his trust forever but you have lost his trust right now. For meds I usually mix with sweet potato baby food or applesauce and offer on a spoon.

Once the medication is done you can work towards rebuilding your relationship but right now he's going to be salty.

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
Well, the grabbing is the issue most likely. And have you watched any You Tube videos on giving a bird meds? There are a bunch. I would worry that you're going to hurt him if you're forcing his mouth open. What's wrong that he's on medicine? I think after he's off his meds, you can work on trying to rebuild his trust.

@Mizzely ?
Well I went to the vet because he was sneezing a lot and his poop looked kinda weird. The vet said his respiratory system sounded find and that he was an ok weight but prescribed a medicine just in case. I have to give it to him for 7 days twice a day. I try to give it to him as gently as possible he just won’t take the medicine any other way, not even on eggs which are his favorite... I’ve tried nearly every treat I can think of but he hates them all. He will only eat eggs and zucchini. I’ve tried bell peppers, bananas, grapes, strawberries, peaches, apples and so on but he won’t eat them. I think it’s because they are all kinda wet that he doesn’t like that. I even bought the fancy treat mixes and millet but he refuses. Am I doing something wrong or is he just really picky? I watched tons of YouTube videos on giving medicine but it’s just not working. I really want to get better at giving it to him I’ve been trying really hard.

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
You haven't lost his trust forever but you have lost his trust right now. For meds I usually mix with sweet potato baby food or applesauce and offer on a spoon.

Once the medication is done you can work towards rebuilding your relationship but right now he's going to be salty.
Ok thanks! I know I need to keep trying to get better since medicine is important I haven’t tried the foods you suggested I’ll see if that works!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I struggle with giving meds too so I sympathize with you. Also, some birds are just pickier eaters than others. Just keep trying. :) I've never had a quaker (they're illegal in PA). So, I don't really know their preferred foods but I have had a lot of luck with giving my cockatiels freeze dried vegetables. A couple of our vendors on the forum sell them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ok thanks! I know I need to keep trying to get better since medicine is important I haven’t tried the foods you suggested I’ll see if that works!
Try it warmed up a bit, then it's sort of like being fed by a mama bird or mate :)

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
Try it warmed up a bit, then it's sort of like being fed by a mama bird or mate :)
Well I tried the sweet potatoes and apple sauce and he refused them both then screamed at me... any other ideas?

pevelg

Moving in
Real Name
Pavel
Well I tried the sweet potatoes and apple sauce and he refused them both then screamed at me... any other ideas?
I second warming up the food, though you need to make sure it isn't too hot. I only recently got a quaker (named Chibi), but when we were first trying to get him to eat his pellets, it helped if we mushed them into a paste and warmed it up. He didn't care to eat it if it was cold. Maybe if you mush the zucchini and add medicine to that?

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
I second warming up the food, though you need to make sure it isn't too hot. I only recently got a quaker (named Chibi), but when we were first trying to get him to eat his pellets, it helped if we mushed them into a paste and warmed it up. He didn't care to eat it if it was cold. Maybe if you mush the zucchini and add medicine to that?
Alright,thanks! I’ll see if this works. He really loves zucchini so I’m hopping it’ll work!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
On the bright side it is wonderful that he loves zucchini! Some birds take a long time to accept greens.

I am sorry you need to medicate at the moment. Once this time passes you can work on rebuilding trust. It just has to be that way sometimes. Don't give up! :thumbsup: