• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive Parrotlet

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins
Just a quick one for you , if someone might have some advice . Bought a handreared parrotlet last June . No bothers til starting to molt few months ago .Past 6, 8 weeks getting really nippy and aggressive .Thought molting was the reason but not sure now . Took a chunk out of smallie yday , never happened before . He’s out every day from bout 4-10. Any ideas ?

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello and :welcomesign:.

He may be going into a hormonal period. I haven't had a p'let for a long time and mine never showed any aggression the entire time I had him.

If you look up talktparrotlets.com as well, you should be able to get lots of answers from there and here. Our members are from around the world, so will pop in throughout the day. In the meantime look up in the forums section the one for Parrotlets Place.

Talkparrotlets.com is a site dedicated to p'lets and has a huge amount of knowledgeable and experienced members as well. I will also tag a few people here that I know have p'lets.

@Hermesbird
@fashionfobie
@Gribouille
@finchly

Don't forget some will take longer to pop on due to the time zones around the world. Hope you get all the help you need. :heart:

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Parrotets actually have the personality of a big parrot in a tiny body. LOL. He could just be growing up and hormonal. Is there any pattern to when he bites/is agressive?

Trogdora

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen G.
Was your parrotlet a baby when you got them? Because it does seem to fit the timeframe of when a parrotlet hits "puberty", especially with that first mature molt. Some of the aggression will pass but that really depends on how you handle it, if p'let is cage aggressive and you try to give him/her space, you might be teaching the bird that it's their space and if they defend it you'll stay away, which is of course not what you want.
10 seems a little late for parrotlet to be out, in my opinion. Mine was always VERY strict about having his night-night routine between 8-9 every night and then he'd get a full 12 hours of sleep. A sleep-deprived bird is also a cranky bird, so if they're getting nippy towards the end of the night they could be saying hey, I want to go to bed!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Parrotlets typically hit puberty around 10months to a year. This time can be very confusing and frustrating for the little bird. It is also a natural progression of life. Parrots will not be 'cuddly' babies forever. It is probably the time to take a step back. Respect your parrotlet's new desire to have some space. They are now becoming an independent adult animal. It isn't much different than a human, there comes a time when we leave the nest so to speak.

I have two parrotlets, when they were babies I could hardly keep them from snuggling against me. As 3 year olds they rarely want physical interaction from me. They will step up and stand on me. Neptune leans on me, but he doesn't want constant scritches anymore.

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins

He may be going into a hormonal period. I haven't had a p'let for a long time and mine never showed any aggression the entire time I had him.

If you look up talktparrotlets.com as well, you should be able to get lots of answers from there and here. Our members are from around the world, so will pop in throughout the day. In the meantime look up in the forums section the one for Parrotlets Place.

Talkparrotlets.com is a site dedicated to p'lets and has a huge amount of knowledgeable and experienced members as well. I will also tag a few people here that I know have p'lets.

@Hermesbird
@fashionfobie
@Gribouille
@finchly

Don't forget some will take longer to pop on due to the time zones around the world. Hope you get all the help you need. :heart:
Thank you

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins
Welcome. Parrotets actually have the personality of a big parrot in a tiny body. LOL. He could just be growing up and hormonal. Is there any pattern to when he bites/is agressive?
As soon as he comes out really . He wants to be up on us all the time still though but just lunges without warning . Hopefully will pass

Attachments

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins
Was your parrotlet a baby when you got them? Because it does seem to fit the timeframe of when a parrotlet hits "puberty", especially with that first mature molt. Some of the aggression will pass but that really depends on how you handle it, if p'let is cage aggressive and you try to give him/her space, you might be teaching the bird that it's their space and if they defend it you'll stay away, which is of course not what you want.
10 seems a little late for parrotlet to be out, in my opinion. Mine was always VERY strict about having his night-night routine between 8-9 every night and then he'd get a full 12 hours of sleep. A sleep-deprived bird is also a cranky bird, so if they're getting nippy towards the end of the night they could be saying hey, I want to go to bed!
Yes he was 12 weeks when I got him . It’s only since he started to molt that this behaviour has started . Was always gentle and cuddly .As regards 10 being late , he actually gets more affectionate and relaxed the later it gets . Thanks for your advice

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins
Parrotlets typically hit puberty around 10months to a year. This time can be very confusing and frustrating for the little bird. It is also a natural progression of life. Parrots will not be 'cuddly' babies forever. It is probably the time to take a step back. Respect your parrotlet's new desire to have some space. They are now becoming an independent adult animal. It isn't much different than a human, there comes a time when we leave the nest so to speak.

I have two parrotlets, when they were babies I could hardly keep them from snuggling against me. As 3 year olds they rarely want physical interaction from me. They will step up and stand on me. Neptune leans on me, but he doesn't want constant scritches anymore.
He still loves his scratching and constantly wants to be on us but can just get aggressive out of nowhere .He’s 11 months now so it makes sense what you’re saying . Thank you for the advice

Attachments

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins

@Hermesbird
@fashionfobie
@Gribouille
@finchly

Thank you very much

Attachments

Trogdora

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen G.
Yes he was 12 weeks when I got him . It’s only since he started to molt that this behaviour has started . Was always gentle and cuddly .As regards 10 being late , he actually gets more affectionate and relaxed the later it gets . Thanks for your advice
He's definitely testing his boundaries and seeing what he can get away with now. You might wind up taking a few decent bites, so I'd caution against letting your kiddo hold him for the time being. Maybe they could offer some treats instead to establish some positive interactions at this point.

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
I really can't take much more of the level of cuteness with that gorgeous child and the baby parrotlet! Those two are just too adorable for words!!! :heart:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Very cute photos!

Parrotlets can be very reactive, and are very likely to bite. Parrotlets can draw blood and their bites can be rather strong despite their small size. I personally would not allow a parrotlet to interact with my toddler. Toddlers are also learning, and do not always have the restraint we have. If your child innocently hits a bite away, the bird will be the one to suffer. Parrotlets only weigh around 30g and are easily injured or killed.

I know you and your gorgeous baby are careful and likely always supervised, but we can't always predict how things will play out.

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins
Thanks for your advice . Isabella is so cautious with him you wouldn’t believe it . She senses more than myself when he is going to have a nip . The bird will never suffer with her , she’s so careful . Different strokes for different folks I guess but she’s spent her short life with him and that’s all she knows . She idolises him .All she knows is Ollie . Thank you .

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins
Thank you. She absolutely adores him even though at the moment she knows he’s not in the best of form

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins

Very cute photos!

Parrotlets can be very reactive, and are very likely to bite. Parrotlets can draw blood and their bites can be rather strong despite their small size. I personally would not allow a parrotlet to interact with my toddler. Toddlers are also learning, and do not always have the restraint we have. If your child innocently hits a bite away, the bird will be the one to suffer. Parrotlets only weigh around 30g and are easily injured or killed.

I know you and your gorgeous baby are careful and likely always supervised, but we can't always predict how things will play out.
[/QUOTE
Thanks for your advice . Isabella is so cautious with him you wouldn’t believe it . She senses more than myself when he is going to have a nip . The bird will never suffer with her , she’s so careful . Different strokes for different folks I guess but she’s spent her short life with him and that’s all she knows . She idolises him .All she knows is Ollie . Thank you .

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins
I really can't take much more of the level of cuteness with that gorgeous child and the baby parrotlet! Those two are just too adorable for words!!! :heart:
Thank you. She absolutely adores him even though at the moment she knows he’s not in the best of form

edcummins

Moving in
Real Name
Eddie Cummins
Very cute photos!