• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive male

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hello everyone,

I have a bonded pair of Red Rump Parakeets, but recently the male has become very aggressive.

This evening, the male has been chasing her and being very aggressive. We have decided to seperate them for now. They can still see and interact with each other, some if he calms down, it should be fine to put them back together.

What should I do?

Ali

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello everyone,

I have a bonded pair of Red Rump Parakeets, but recently the male has become very aggressive.

This evening, the male has been chasing her and being very aggressive. We have decided to seperate them for now. They can still see and interact with each other, some if he calms down, it should be fine to put them back together.

What should I do?

Ali
I don't know anything about red-rumped parrots (I wonder what they would think if they knew everyone was talking about their red rumps lol), but I'm guessing that it's hormone season kicking in? Kiwi just turned one and it's horemone season so he's been pretty hormonal and protective of Blizzard+Their cage. I think you should just continue what you're doing and keep them seperated until the hormones die down a little bit.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Ok, thank you. It has been going on for quite a while now though. Do you know how long it would be likely to carry on for?

Ali

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm not 100% up on red rump parakeets. But I'm willing to bet the male wants to mate. It's hormonal. Natural behavior. Separating them will help but you'll have to do it for a while. Least till the heat dies down.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
willing to bet the male wants to mate.
@Hawk12237 That's what we were thinking. It appears he tries to mount her by pinning her to the floor, but really aggressivly. He took some of her feathers with him too! We have separated them before and it all calmed down so we decided to release them together yesterday. Not a good idea...

Thank you

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 That's what we were thinking. It appears he tries to mount her by pinning her to the floor, but really aggressivly. He took some of her feathers with him too! We have separated them before and it all calmed down so we decided to release them together yesterday. Not a good idea...

Thank you
Ahhh, yes that's a classic mating characteristic.
And unfortunately it can get aggressive, that's just the nature of the birds.
You should see chickens and roosters, we have them, and it can get mighty aggressive. My wife calls it " chicken rape". Lol...

• Haha
Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Ok. They are fine and back together now for the time being. Is it likely it was just hormonal, or could it happen every year? ALso, it hasn't happened since we put them back together, which is how they have been for about 2 months now. In the two or three years we have had them (three I think) it has never happened before, which is why I am wondering.

Thank you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Not sure how good the information is as there were so many to choose from but this one mentions they can be aggressive to their own kind. They also are lifetime partners which not all birds are. We get these little cuties in our yard all the time.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry to hear that.

Miss Annamarie