• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive little lovebird

Valentines

Sitting on the front steps
That sounds good. She just loves to forage all the time :)

I'll try the food dish and marbles, also the paper treat because she LOVES paper.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
And is there anything I may be doing to encourage it?
Do you have nesting material in the cage
She LOVES to strip paper, I mean she just LOVES IT! So I usually let her do that when she's out of her cage
:wewin:Paper = nesting material. Your hen is shredding it to make her nest.
Take all paper away from her. Provide other toys. Because she will not be happy with no paper, you will need to provide a nice selection so that she has things to try and see what she likes. Popsicle stick toys are a hit with my hens, but your hen might like something different.
No paper, no cardboard, no seagrass for now. Opt for toys like:
Have you tried toys made with craft sticks, yucca, balsa, thin slats of pine, wooden beads and foraging toys
Bells, little cat ball toys, swings, plastic colourful toys etc
Foraging is a great option, especially activities that don´t include shreddables, food cages, skewers,

Later down the line maybe you could give her a shreddable once every now and then as a treat, but to have them available all the time is allowing your hen to try to nest all the time.
For now, stick to non shreddables so you can figure out what she likes.

As for the cage aggression, working with her by the cage as recommended by @Monica is a great idea.
To clean the cage, simply let her out to fly whilst you do it. I cannot put my hand in any of my girls cages, so I clean while they are out flying and having fun.

Valentines

Our dog plays with small cat toys, so I'm sure she won't mind if I give some to my bird! Thank you for the advice. It's very appreciated.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just don't give any toys your dog (or cat) has played with to your bird *unless* thoroughly sanitized. If using cat balls, be sure to get hard plastic ones, not ones that are more likely to easily break. The bells inside are *not* bird safe.

Valentines

Yes, I have cleaned them. And they are bird safe, she likes to chase them around and play. :)