• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive female zebra finch

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
Hi all. I had a pair of female zebra finches, but sadly one of them had to be euthanized due to a prolapsed cloaca. I also have another female zebra finch that is in a cage of her own because she is quite aggressive/territorial. I tried to put her into the cage with the zebra finch that is now alone but the outcome was just as I expected, she was CONSTANTLY chasing her around so I had to separate them, and while they are in cages near each other, I don't think this is ideal as pairs should be kept in a single cage right? What do I do now... I have one lonely zebra finch (she always was and is the peaceful type, so when there was a fight she was 98% of the time the one being chased, not the one giving chase), and one aggressive one. I think the problem could be that the aggressive finch is too crazy about having kids and she seems to think everything is a nest including feeders and the V shaped (upper) part of an Y shaped perch. So she always sleeps in feeders. Is there any possibility of these two living in peace? Is there any way of making the aggressive one less crazy about having kids?

Elisabird

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
I am surprised to find that someone else has had this problem. For anyone who may have this problem now, here's my experience.

I have two zebra finches. The female is aggressive towards the male whenever nesting material is present, and sometimes behaves aggressively even when none is present, when she is in nestmaking mode.
I separated them with a wire divider. They seem not bothered by it, and she doesn't dive-bomb him anymore or make shrieking angry sounds. I placed sticks as perches through the divider and they snuggle up.
They still make dances and sweet noises. They don't try to get through the barrier to each other. They still synchronize activities. They even seem to be unaware or partially unaware of the physical separation. When I
place a treat on the floor of their enclosure/cage, the other one jumps down right away, as though it's in the same location.

It's a pretty good solution. Occasionally I try removing the divider and providing a nest; so far, she has always returned to her aggressive state, and I've had to reinstate the barrier.

If this post appears, I wonder why more than year-old posts are discouraged/slotted as spam. Aren't there people like me who read old threads for information? Perhaps it is too time-consuming to sort it.

If anyone has a question about zebra finches, feel free to try to contact me if there's a way to do so within this forum.

Elisabird

Hi all. I had a pair of female zebra finches, but sadly one of them had to be euthanized due to a prolapsed cloaca. I also have another female zebra finch that is in a cage of her own because she is quite aggressive/territorial. I tried to put her into the cage with the zebra finch that is now alone but the outcome was just as I expected, she was CONSTANTLY chasing her around so I had to separate them, and while they are in cages near each other, I don't think this is ideal as pairs should be kept in a single cage right? What do I do now... I have one lonely zebra finch (she always was and is the peaceful type, so when there was a fight she was 98% of the time the one being chased, not the one giving chase), and one aggressive one. I think the problem could be that the aggressive finch is too crazy about having kids and she seems to think everything is a nest including feeders and the V shaped (upper) part of an Y shaped perch. So she always sleeps in feeders. Is there any possibility of these two living in peace? Is there any way of making the aggressive one less crazy about having kids?
I just realized my reply may hardly be helpful to the original topic. From what I understand, it is certainly not ideal to house single zebra finches, but when I've had to house them singly, keeping them closeby to another finch, perhaps just by using a cage divider or putting their cages right next next to each other. This give them company and stimulation and protects the one finch from aggression.
You can try rehousing them together and removing nesting material or anything close to it, but it may not be possible to house them together.
I would try to get them mates if possible. I always get a new finch when half a bonded pair dies, but I've never confronted being left with two of the same sex before.

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
I had finches (Zebras, Owls, Shaft tails, Cordon Bleu, etc) for many, many years but never had the issue of such an aggressive female. Not knowing where you are located, has this behavior increased with longer daylight hours? You could attempt to give her less daylight and more dark hours by using a cover. Hormonal behavior can be linked to increased daylight exposure.
Also, you may be interested in offering her avian formulated tea to help balance her system. Here is a source I use for my African Grey, but if you do try tea, start by making it on the weak side. You can always steep it longer if needed, or you can just put the dry tea in a dish for her to eat as a supplement.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If this post appears, I wonder why more than year-old posts are discouraged/slotted as spam. Aren't there people like me who read old threads for information? Perhaps it is too time-consuming to sort it.
It will appear ;)
The pop up is more to advise people that it is an older thread. In older threads, the person posting looking for advice is likely now not, and also sometimes they are no longer active so won't respond (not the case in this thread).
There are many older threads that pop up here and there and are quite interesting to read.

if there's a way to do so within this forum.
There is. Any member can "tag" another by typing @ followed by their username. Like this; @Elisabird :)

Elisabird

It will appear ;)
The pop up is more to advise people that it is an older thread. In older threads, the person posting looking for advice is likely now not, and also sometimes they are no longer active so won't respond (not the case in this thread).
There are many older threads that pop up here and there and are quite interesting to read.

There is. Any member can "tag" another by typing @ followed by their username. Like this; @Elisabird :)
Thank you, @Zara : )