• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive baby Eclectus girl

Janee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
jane king
I have a baby female eclectus parrot taken late from the nest. She’s about 6 weeks old.. I’ve been struggling to get her to feed well though she will but it’s quite difficult as she’s very aggressive..I’m able to pat her back and back of her head & cheeks after feeding but she won’t be picked up.. any tips would be greatly appreciated..

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Is the bird in the picture the bird that you are talking about? If so, she looks older than six weeks.

Janee

Real Name
jane king
It was an estimation on her age really.. I knew she was in the log about a month ago so was really a guess.. I’ve never bred birds before & my last female eclectus in 6 years never laid an egg.. anyway I’m flying a bit blind and could use some advice.. Thankyou so much

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’m able to pat her back and back of her head & cheeks after feeding but she won’t be picked up
If you are able to feed her and touch her, then I would not pick her up if she does not want to be picked up.
Feed her in the brooder or wherever you are housing her. If she backs away from you, try dimming the light a little. Feed her without holding her. If you can, use your non-feeding hand to cup around her head to support her.

If you struggle to feed her, let her parents complete the feeding and weaning process.

Janee

Real Name
jane king
Thanks Zara.. she’s feeding really well now.. still not wanting to be picked up but happy to be petted.. I’ll persevere & I think we’ll get through it.. I had a galah many years ago who had been a wild bird & in time he became the quietest most friendly bird you could ask for.. time & patience I suppose is the key.. they’re all so different from each other.. thanks again