• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive Alex

cube1234

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Callum
Hello,

I have a rescue Alexandrine that has a terrible fear of hands and arms. She’ll happily sit on my chest, head, shoulder and legs but will bite, attack and squawk at the mere sight/presence of my hands and/or arm.

She is also petrified of the stick I have been trying to use to remove her from the cage and she has the same reaction to that.

As such it is hard to get her in and out of the cage.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Is your setup such that she can just go in and out of her cage on her own?

My birds are no-touch, and I eventually moved them into an aviary. Before we did that, I had a safe zone set up so that I could let them out of their cage for at least a couple of hours most days. I had perches on the inside and outside of their door so it was easy and felt safe for them to come and go. Since I kept their food and water in the cage, it wasn't hard to wait until they were both in and then close the door when it was time for bed.

Generally speaking, my attitude is that if birds don't want to be touched, don't touch them. Eventually, they might come to associate your hands and arms with good things. But that's not where you are now.

cube1234

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Callum
At the moment she can come in and out but there arent any perches outside the cage door so Ill give this a go for sure! Thankyou

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
Does she like boings? One of mine will not tolerate hands or moving branches, but will accept a boing or a clothed elbow to step onto. I also have a lot of branches and boings attaching the cage to various stands in the room, so he can get anywhere he wants to without any interference from me! Good luck with her :)

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
Also, what is it with certain body parts? My other parrot really dislikes knees! :D