• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggression?

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi not sure why I only now saw this thank youuu so much I’ll definitely give this a try seems very genius! Do you think he’s too old to be trained like this? 1 years old?
Hi, I got Pichu when he was over a year. He was tame already but after the "honey moon" he started to bite too and test any limit, trying to see if he could be the dominant part of this relationship. I began to click train him and give him foraging toys. So he had something fun to do instead of being bored and frustrated. I've had him for 5.5 months now and he almost never bites. He is a cuddly, funny little bird who can entertain himself for hours chewing the labels of my tin cans into confetti or foraging for seeds in a dish full of beads. When he's had enough of being on his own, he flies to me for cuddles, scritches or sleeping on a warm finger (he often has cold feet... good thing we don't share a bed!)
P'lets are clever birds, and they need to use their brain in an appropriate way. If not, they'll act out..

check here: biting...

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Also how do you place him back on the stand without aggravating him?
To be honest it is hard to say without seeing your interaction. I need to read your body language too. Your little cute fluffer butt can read your body language better than you know. If you are tensing up or feeling worried, he will feel this way too. Stay calm, be consistent, reward all progress with his favourite snacks.

If you could film how you move him it may answer lots of questions. How you approach, how you hold you hand, how you are asking him, etc. :)

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
And don't forget it is that "time" of year. Gary my daughters parakeet has been acting extremely aggressive towards her when she is on the phone. It always passes once the hormones pass.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
And don't forget it is that "time" of year. Gary my daughters parakeet has been acting extremely aggressive towards her when she is on the phone. It always passes once the hormones pass.
I don't really believe in hormones being responsible for unwanted behavior. If it was a seasonal thing, then all our parrotlets would act out at the same time. Moreover, Winter is seldom the season for mating. There can be so many other reasons for a bird to act out :) And even if it was hormones, unacceptable behavior is still unacceptable and should be dealt with. It is never OK to bite, the bird should be diverted from it and shown an acceptable way to behave...

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I don't really believe in hormones being responsible for unwanted behavior. If it was a seasonal thing, then all our parrotlets would act out at the same time. Moreover, Winter is seldom the season for mating. There can be so many other reasons for a bird to act out :) And even if it was hormones, unacceptable behavior is still unacceptable and should be dealt with. It is never OK to bite, the bird should be diverted from it and shown an acceptable way to behave...
Hormones definitely contribute. Indoors Parrotlets breed all year round. So the normal state of our pet parrotlet is a little hormone monster :) :alien83::alien4:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Its been over 3 years since I owned a P'let. I had a female, and never had a problem with her at any time of the year actually. The only time she was her lil monster self was if we were doing something that ticked her off, she would stomp around, and make her "I'm op'd" noises, but she never bit us. She hated noisy paper, and toilet paper.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hormones definitely contribute. Indoors Parrotlets breed all year round. So the normal state of our pet parrotlet is a little hormone monster :) :alien83::alien4:
Then how do you know it's the hormones fault?

Its been over 3 years since I owned a P'let. I had a female, and never had a problem with her at any time of the year actually. The only time she was her lil monster self was if we were doing something that ticked her off, she would stomp around, and make her "I'm op'd" noises, but she never bit us. She hated noisy paper, and toilet paper.
So no hormones here either? Pichu is my second p'let, never noticed any hormone... Maybe there was, but I didn't think about it because as I said before, unwanted behavior must be dealt with whatever the reason.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hormones aren't bad things. They are just part of having a sexually adult animal living in your home. Parrotlet behaviour like territoriality, cavity seeking, and courtship behaviour are all related to hormones. Parrotlets are sexually mature at around 10months and can nest year round in the homes we create for them.

Some other species of parrot are seasonal breeders even in our homes. There is a definite difference in the birds behaviour when the lighting and temperature are beckoning.

An adult parrotlet is who they are year round. It is not a behavioural problem to have hormones. The behavioural problem is with the human that may overly stimulate a bird.. like petting a birds body and wings or snuggling all day... This can get especially dangerous for female birds who could lay eggs risking getting egg bound.

For the original poster, hormones are worth talking about.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So there isn't a "time of the year" and no seasonal effect that will go away on its own. Which is my point. A behavioral problem doesn't go away on its own, it must be addressed.