• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Age of baby bird?

GreenCheekMom

Checking out the neighborhood
image.jpg image.jpg i recently got a green cheek conure from a breeder who said it was 7 weeks old (Now the bird should be 8 weeks old). However, when I looked on YouTube, all the videos of 7 and 8 week old conures did not look like mine. From the research I’ve done, my baby looks about 6 weeks old as of right now. Can someone (maybe a breeder?) tell me how old my baby looks like? Thanks!

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He's young from the look on his face and the fact that his tail feathers haven't come in completely. It also looks like his wings were clipped - can he fly or just flutter down to the floor or nearest location?

Is he eating well by himself?

Last edited:

GreenCheekMom

Checking out the neighborhood
Yeah the breeder says she clips her bird’s wings.he can eat well (his pellets are arriving Monday) but he still needs syringe feeding from what the breeder told me.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If he's still eating soft foods try things like mashed banana, steamed/cooked sweet potatio or look at some of the organic baby foods. Try him on anything now because it'll open him up to accepting different things as he gets older (not just pellets).

I have greenies and most of them will try anything though they do love corn (microwaved or raw), rice, pasta, broccoli, peas. If you're eating something offer him some too; after all, if you're eating it , it must be good.

Did the breeder mention whether he was could already fly or was he clipped before he learned how to?

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Are you continuing to syringe feed? If the breeder said he was supposed to be still eating formula, then you received an unweaned chick. As such you should be trying to offer the chick formula at least 2 but closer to 3x a day. They are really growing right now and they need that specialized nutrition to develop properly. The earliest chicks usually wean is 8weeks with 10weeks being more normal. When you get the pellets trying feeding them soaked as well as regular. If he hasn’t eaten a lot of hard foods the pellets may be a little hard to get a hold of right away. Hope everything goes well. Welcome to AA :)

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Her feathers are clipped? That worries me so much because the baby will want to fly and since he cannot he will think he weighs too much and try and starve himself to lose weight to fly. Clipping wings of babies that are unweaned is awful and the breeder that sold the bird to you is not an ethical or good breeder. So heartbreaking.

Please keep an eye on his weight and weigh him daily to make sure he does not starve himself.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, clipping an unweaned chick is preblematic. Please be sure you have a digital scale avail. to weigh the chick daily.

@MahaSarah on a side note, I have just realised who you are. I saw your video setting up the flight cage as I was buying one for my special needs bird Adelie. I enjoyed seeing your set up, and listening to you say you wanted the biggest cage for your birds etc, but later, I was very saddened to see you put 4 birds in an 30x18x18. Now, Having that same cage, I would say it is minimum size for maximum 2 bonded lovebirds (that gives them 15x18x18 each), but no more. The minimum cage dimensions 18x18x18 are per bird, so 4 birds would need a minimum 30/32x18x30/32. I do hope those 4 birds have been split into pairs or put in a larger cage. I´m not hating on you, just giving you my thoughts on your public video in the hopes that the birds are housed in the correct cages.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Yes, clipping an unweaned chick is preblematic. Please be sure you have a digital scale avail. to weigh the chick daily.

@MahaSarah on a side note, I have just realised who you are. I saw your video setting up the flight cage as I was buying one for my special needs bird Adelie. I enjoyed seeing your set up, and listening to you say you wanted the biggest cage for your birds etc, but later, I was very saddened to see you put 4 birds in an 30x18x18. Now, Having that same cage, I would say it is minimum size for maximum 2 bonded lovebirds (that gives them 15x18x18 each), but no more. The minimum cage dimensions 18x18x18 are per bird, so 4 birds would need a minimum 30/32x18x30/32. I do hope those 4 birds have been split into pairs or put in a larger cage. I´m not hating on you, just giving you my thoughts on your public video in the hopes that the birds are housed in the correct cages.
@Zara Hey thanks for telling me! I should have elaborated more in that video but my Lovebirds are out most of the day in our screened in porch. There are lots of different play stands and perches that mimic natural trees and they love to fly around outside.

I will make an update video elaborating on my bird's daily routine and to make sure people know how long my birds stay in their cage, how long they are out of their cage, and what a sleeping cage is.

Thank you for your concern though :) I promise my babies are spoiled and well cared for and I would never preach something and practice something else.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It does look to be around 6 weeks old based on the tail feather growth. I'm curious... why buy before it's weaned?