• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Age estimate?

zazu_

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Clayton
Hey y’all, i’m hoping this is in the right category.
My family “gifted” me a lovebird baby from their recent.. clutch? They aren’t sure about his age and settled with roughly 4 weeks (???) old.

I was doing some browsing through photos and youtube videos and i’ve come to the conclusion that he might be close to 6 weeks? He’s still got a black beak, but he doesn’t have many of those fluffy baby feathers. Only a few underneath his wings. That being said he is trying to fly often; it’s very cute.

I know you can’t exactly tell age from photos but a rough estimate would be more than helpful! I was told to feed him baby bird formula (they gave me some) with a syringe or spoon but he doesn’t seem interested in it at all. He picks at seeds, oats, some fruit or whatever is lying about in his cage. Do I just let him be to feed himself or should I try and get some of the formula into him also?

I’d rather ask here than to my family cause I’m not entirely sure they know what they’re talking about

Here’s some photos I managed to get. (plus him stretching his wings cause it’s just so cute)

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Clayton :starshower1:

Your bird is no way 4 weeks old. 6 weeks would be much closer. I created a guide, you can see he is an older chick: Pictures - (Peach face) White face Lovebird growth | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
How come your family don´t know his rough age?
What is his name? He´s adorable ❤

If he is not interested in the formula and eats on his own, then that´s fine - Don´t forget some veggies :)

Last edited:

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Aww what a sweetie! And welcome!

zazu_

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Clayton
Welcome to the Avenue Clayton :starshower1:

Your bird is no way 4 weeks old. 6 weeks would be much closer. I created a guide, you can see he is an older chick: Pictures - (Peach face) White face Lovebird growth | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
How come your family don´t know his rough age?
What is his name? He´s adorable ❤

If he is not interested in the formula and eats on his own, then that´s fine - Don´t forget some veggies :)
Thank you!
I didn’t think he was 4 weeks, I believe they aren’t sure about his age cause the weren’t expecting any babies. And he is the oldest in the clutch, the others barely have feathers (honestly i’m not even sure if he’s from the same). I believe they were told they only had female lovebirds, but I suppose not haha! (they breed cockatiels not lovebirds so it was a surprise).
But thank you very much! Will also feed him some veggies! I appreciate the help :)