• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Age concerns

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
My Jade is fourteen this month. I’m getting him a special toy but I am wondering…. What should I be concerned with as he gets older?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you mean health wise, or in terms of behavior?

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I’d say both. I do apologize. I have family in very ill health. I also have multiple birds that are reaching a point where I need to start considering any kind of food or toy changes, etc.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am a little unclear exactly what you are asking, but in terms of toys... yes! Change toys often and ensure that you always have wooden chew toys available, especially if Jade is a ringneck. Ringnecks (IRN) are highly intelligent birds and should have some sorta of toy rotation at least weekly. Avoid toys with cotton/ cotton rope etc as IRN have been found with crop impactions from consuming cotton fibers.

I hope this helps. If you have a more precise question please let us know :)

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I never buy the cotton type toys or those with fibers that aren’t natural. I’m browsing through all the toy suggestions I got in another thread.
I know certain herbs can help with things such as swelling and arthritis. Jade sometimes gets an inflamed joint and even though my vet said he was fine, I’m still concerned. I’m using online safe lists for this. But I’m looking for a soft wood with rough type bark to help him out. I though initially of some local woods but all the local ones don’t match what I want.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It sounds like you are doing the right things.

If ankle health is something you want to work a vertical perch can help. It improves strength and flexibility. As example the image below. When the perch is vertical the birds can still relax on them, but they use more of the ankle and feet to support themselves. Not all perches, but one for some interest in the cage .

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
That’s awesome. I always include that type of perch in my cages. I usually have a rotation of different perches and toys I use, so this is great. Thanks.