• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Agatha is chewing paper through grate

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Hi guys!
I've noticed the past week or so Agatha will go to the bottom of her cage and stick her foot through the grate, grab the paper towels, and then chew on them through the grate. Just a few days ago she got a new wood toy and has been grabbing the shavings too and chewing them even smaller. Is this nesting behavior? I am ignorant when it comes to hormones/behaviors of female birbs, I need to do some reading for sure.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My GCC Buddy just loved chewing paper, just as my whole flock do now. I don't think it's a nesting behaviour necessarily so I ripped the covers off an old telephone directory and let them have at it.
Many of us live with chewers and have moved our favourite books away from our flocks.

Reactions: Lo_

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Yes, not necessarily hormonal behaviour but you need to look at more factors to determine this.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
My GCC Buddy just loved chewing paper, just as my whole flock do now. I don't think it's a nesting behaviour necessarily so I ripped the covers off an old telephone directory and let them have at it.
Many of us live with chewers and have moved our favourite books away from our flocks.
Yes, not necessarily hormonal behaviour but you need to look at more factors to determine this.
Thanks guys. She just pulls all the paper towels up and ends up pooping on the tray and moving the grate around o_O gonna have to secure it somehow!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have birds that do that, too, and they are not being hormonal but just like chewing and ripping up the paper. I lowered Keno's (cockatoo) grate but she can still reach down with her foot and pull up the paper. Most of the ripped up paper winds up on the floor. She likes throwing the papers out of the cage.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I have a budgie who loves chewing her paper. I think for her it can be hormonal behavior, especially if I see she’s chewing it very methodically and to the point where it’s been completely destroyed only an hour or so after replacing it

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oooppss...as per my post...I lowered Keno's tray, not the grate. hahaha...would be much easier for her to reach the paper if I lowered the grate.

• Haha

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Oooppss...as per my post...I lowered Keno's tray, not the grate. hahaha...would be much easier for her to reach the paper if I lowered the grate.
I don’t think that I can lower the tray on this cage, unfortunately. Agatha is having to reach down with her foot as it is haha
Ollie never did this, and neither did Percy , Echo, or Neptune (budgies) and she’s my first female so I was just like oh no :lol: Seems to be normal, so I won’t worry about it :D Just need to secure the grate with quick hooks or something so she can’t escape the cage when she moves the grate and tray

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I have a budgie who loves chewing her paper. I think for her it can be hormonal behavior, especially if I see she’s chewing it very methodically and to the point where it’s been completely destroyed only an hour or so after replacing it
Gotcha, makes sense. She usually only goes after it once she’s got wood chips down there. I think that’s her real goal, but the paper is a bonus sometimes haha

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I have just thought of something. Just place rocks in the corners and the middle so your birb is not able to pull it up and get poo all over itself from the newspaper.