• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

After laying an egg

Kk5758

Moving in
Real Name
Ko
Hi, I’m new at this but whatever info will help. idk if this is normal but my parakeet vent looks out and red after laying her first egg today. thanks

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know what you mean!

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Might bit be an idea of getting a pic if possible? Her description or terminology may not be actually what is happening. i Know I run into that problem myself. I explain something to find out I am not using the right words and it is not what I was talking about. Or at least the way the other person thought

just a suggestion so everyone is on the same page for sure...

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
I would say definitely a vet visit asap. Poor baby, nothing you could have done before the egg laying i don’t think. But hopefully the vet can take care of it right away. As Birdbabe said, keep it moist. Let us know how it goes at the vet

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I am so happy you took her. Prolapse is pretty serious if left untreated. I hope your little one does well. Talk to your vet about her diet, what you feed her and how you can make changes to help prevent this again. Reading all about prolapse will help you understand more about it. I know some new people get really frustrated with us when we advise against breeding. Mostly, it's because we don't get any history from initial posts, but simply looking for advice. This is just one of the things that can happen if a hen isn't in prime condition, on the correct food, able to fly for optimum health... quite a bit actually. Did you take the egg with you for the vet to look at? Was it thin shelled - in that she may have had a hard time laying it as a probable cause for the prolapse? Prayers for your little girl!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I did talk to the vet about her diet and the egg was crushed when I got her out today to bring to the vet. They keeping her over night.
If you haven't thrown the egg away I'd take it and show it to the vet to look at the shell to evaluate the thickness. I'm sure the vet will discuss it with you and try to help pin point the underlying cause of her prolapse.

Kk5758

Moving in
Real Name
Ko
They send me home with her with clavamox and tramadol bcuz I don’t have 900$ that they wanted upfront for the surgery. :( it’s so expensive so trying to see what I can do to try and get that done for her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kk5758

Moving in
Real Name
Ko
And I told them about the egg all the asked was if the egg was complete when she laid it but they didn’t ask me to take it in or anything I told them it was broken today.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so glad you took her in, and I'm hoping she will have a full recovery, and no more eggs, poor thing.