• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African grey

Parrot46

Checking out the neighborhood
So this is Lola I've had Lola since she was a baby Lola will be 8 this year I've never had I've never had any issues with Lola or any problems at all are any problems at all but last year in July my dad was taken to hospital my dad was taken to hospital and on the 9th of August on the 9th of August my dad passed away it was a big shock to all of us my mum wasn't coping my mum wasn't coping and so might me and my daughter went to stay at her went to stay at hersford a few weeks in that time this time lola's routine was all over the place and she started place and she started plucking I thought when we got back to routine I thought when we got back to routine that Lola would stop and it was because of everything that had changed but it's almost been a year but it's almost been a year now and Lola is still plucking I don't know if it's behaviour what it's going on with her she has been to vets and been check out had medicine for incase you had a Fungus infection also she had treatment in case she's got parasites but all came back clear i am at lose what too do i think maybe a collar would be something to stop what does everything I like too here what u would do thank you here a little video

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
First a full vet check to make sure there isn't an underlying medical condition-which it looks like you did. Making sure she has 12 hours of dark for sleep and good light during the day. Daily misting, making sure there is enough humidity. Enough toys to have a distraction available. There are products like avian calm/supplements. A collar may help to break the cycle-may. My friend's grey plucks. She has done all that an more. He still plucks. She considered a collar but he wasn't causing self injury, she decided against that. He joyfully is a part of their lives and activities every day. He sings/whistles/talks (can even have Alexa play music or tell stories). And he still is a beautiful bird, a bit naked on his throat and chest, but still a beautiful bird. You may find that the plucking worries you more than Lola, especially if she isn't causing self harm. My vet says it is fairly common for greys to pluck. If you try what you can and she still plucks, you might find you love a slightly naked bird- along with her pink bird friend.
In the video, she is beautiful and has a trusting relationship with you. I think my Louise may be a bit jealous of the platform swing, it's really cool.
Two other quick things- My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your father.
t is fantastic that Lola has been with you for her whole 8 years. It is heartwarming to see birds in forever homes who are loved and well taken care of.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

So sorry for your loss.

Your birds are beautiful and look very happy in their home! :swoon:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: to you and Lola. I'm so very sorry you lost your father so suddenly like that.

It sounds like you have a good vet. If Lola's plucking is behaviour based, make sure you are not giving her attention for plucking - not sure when she does it - some parrots pluck overnight, some during the day. Instead, try to fill her day with activities to distract her and give her lots of reinforcement for doing these things instead of plucking. If her humans are sad she will feel off kilter/concerned that something is wrong so check your own behaviour. Birds don't usually pluck wet feathers so showering/misting may help. You could also teach her some new behaviours through training - like target training... it would give her another activity to do/think about. Not sure if a collar would help long term. I'd try less invasive actions first.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What do you feed her ..proper diet can have a huge affect on plucking ... Lots of fresh veggies and fruit ..did they pull blood when you were at the vet if so were there any issues with the blood work .. :)