• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African grey parrot eating wooden toys

Anonymouse

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jenna
I just recently got an african grey parrot and he's finally starting to warm up to me and play with his toys. I've been noticing that he is eating the wooden toys, he'll chip off some of the wood, chew it up and eat it. Is this normal for birds to do or should I be concerned about him eating it?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are you sure he is actually eating it?
My bird does a similar thing sometimes but he is just playing with the bits and he eventually drops them.
If you are certain he is ingesting it I would remove the said toy and also strongly consider a vet appointment.

Anonymouse

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jenna
I only see little bits of wood in the bottom of the cage, but it doesn't look like it's all the pieces he's taking off. I do have a vet appointment coming up though, so I'll take the toy out for the time. Thank you.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
He is most likely not eating it. He is chipping it up into little bits. That is what the toys are for

kingkrab

Moving in
I just recently got an african grey parrot and he's finally starting to warm up to me and play with his toys. I've been noticing that he is eating the wooden toys, he'll chip off some of the wood, chew it up and eat it. Is this normal for birds to do or should I be concerned about him eating it?
Don’t think he’s eating it. AG’s chew wood, paper, and other to relieve tension and boredom. Wooden toys are great for Greys to chew on. Is this your first grey?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You may be right that he is't eating it, but he may be. My Jasper, GW female 27 yo) has no - absolutely no wooden toys, because she eats them. In fact she only has very hard plastic and cardboard toys. She became impacted a number of years ago because she ate a wiffle ball. She got an infection in her crop and $1,000 later she was well. Now just two or three months ago my vet discovered that her poop was full of tiny pieces of wood. Thank goodness she hadn't gotten impacted yet. She is virtually toyless now.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds do eat a certain amount of wood in the wild. Of course, if it's enough to cause an impaction, that's a problem!